9 Things Education Majors Are Tired Of Hearing

Over, and over, and over, and over...

115
Clemson

If you're an Education major, you're pretty used to hearing some of the same things whenever you tell someone about it. And often times, those little phrases over and over get pretty annoying. Here are 9 things that Ed majors are tired of hearing.

1. "You're going to be a teacher? How? I could NEVER work with kids"

That's great... for you. Good thing you're not majoring in education I guess?

2. "Wow, your classes must be SO easy!"

Yes, because writing lesson plans, completing practicum, studying standards, and making sure you know how to handle a classroom properly are all super easy. Oh, and don't forget you have to be able to test the kids formatively and summatively to make sure they're keeping up with all of those standards.

3. "What do you do all day? Color?"

Yes, of course, that's exactly it. I am paying thousands of dollars a year to only learn how to color.

4. "You aren't going to be making any money."

This one is probably the worst of them all. Trust me, if we were in it for the money, we would not be going into education. We are very aware that we won't make much, but honestly, we don't care; we're in it for the kids.

5. "How lucky! You'll get all of your summers off!"

I'll try to remember that during the summer when I'm taking more classes, writing different lessons, and preparing my room for next year... And possibly working another job. Because, like you said, I'm not going to make much money.

6. "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

I take it back... THIS is the worst thing you could ever say to a future teacher. The best way to learn how to do something is to teach it; so we must be able to do it right if we're teaching it all the time.

7. "So you're basically going to be a babysitter."

We only wish it was that easy. Like I've said before; lesson plans, classroom management, and making sure standards are met. I don't think that's a babysitter's job...

8. "You're too smart to only be a teacher."

Thanks for the compliment. However, shouldn't we have people who are smart teaching our kids, who will be the future leaders, doctors, and everything else in this country???

9. WHY???

Because I love kids. Because I want to make a difference. Because I want to ensure that my students are influenced, cared for, and loved by somebody in case they don't get that kind of support at home. Because I had one that made a difference in my life. I want students to walk out of classrooms feeling like they've grown, and I want to watch that growth happen step by step throughout the short school year that I will get them for. I want to be a teacher because, despite all of the problems you see with my major, I know that it will all be worth it in the end.