9 Things To Do When You're Single In College Besides Focusing On A Man

Because why not?
677

There is this cool concept I learned about in college called cuffing season. And by cool, I mean incredibly sad.

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it refers to the fall and winter period in which the summer months dwindle and the need to have a honey grows at increasing rates. This so-called cuffing season isn’t the only season of the year where a single lady might be wishing she had her Jay-Z, though.

As January falls to a close, February approaches the itch resurfaces. And we all know what February is — red and pink everywhere and the season of love and adorable dates floods the streets and social media feeds. I’ve decided I might hibernate next month instead of facing all the cute couples.

That being said, maybe being a college student, there is more to celebrate in February than just guys picking up their dolls for a night on the town.

I vote we start celebrating ourselves this valentine’s day and learn to love yourself for how gosh darn wonderful you are without a man (or woman). These are some things that you can accomplish while being single this spring, because this is the time for you to be happy being you, not be happy being with a man. Happiness comes from within, not from a man.

1. Study abroad

Let’s face it, nothing is holding you back. No boyfriend back home for you to miss, and it will never be cheaper than now. Take some beautiful pictures in some beautiful places.

2. Find your style

Figure out which clothes make you feel most comfortable! Make a Pinterest board that includes all those sweaters and cute cheetah pumps you’re going to rock!

3. Take on another class this semester

Don’t bog yourself down, but if you feel like you can handle it, try a class that interests you! Better yourself, boo!

4. Find your coffee shop

Make it your second home, try different drinks and make sure the baristas know your name, become a regular. People watch, look your best, embrace your inner new Yorkers and sip on your cappuccino, sweetie!

5. Get in shape!

This is the only time in your life you’ll have an (arguably) free gym, take advantage of it! Look good, Feel good!

6. Find your voice

I cannot stress how important it is to find yourself before finding the one. Discover your passions, read up on things that interest you. Write in a journal and learn to love your own voice. It will get stronger & louder, I promise, even if it starts with a whisper.

7. Start a blog

You don’t even have to tell anyone about it. It can be your digital diary. That way, you can upload your pictures that we all know you love. Take time at least once a month to go back and re-read the posts that you have made. Appreciate the good times!

8. Join an Org

Find an organization on campus that you feel passionate about or one that would benefit your future. Go all in! Maybe try out executive board and spread all those wonderful ideas swirling in your head! Don’t be afraid. Be confident and get out there!

9. Practice self-care

Even though being single does come with more time and I can preach about it all I want, don’t shove down feelings you’re feeling. If you’re down, grab a facemask, take some silly selfies and read a book.

Remember these things this valentines day season! You are so capable of being great, all on your own.