9 Things You Don't Have To Do Just Because You're a Woman

It's 2016, people.

27

I think we can all agree that gender roles are stupid. Here is a list of things that have been historically deemed 'feminine' that you don't actually have to do just because you're a female.

1. Wear dresses. Honestly, I hate dresses. I own less than five of them and I only really wear them if I haven't done laundry in a loooong time. Obviously, if you like dresses, wear them, but if you don't like dresses, don't feel obligated to wear them to prove your femininity.

2. Not curse. I don't know who in history decided that using swear words wasn't feminine. What's 'feminine' is saying whatever the fuck you want, because you're entitled to freedom of speech just as much as the next person.

3. Be good at cooking and baking. I can't make a Kraft Dinner to save my life. Obviously, knowing how to cook is a basic skill that should be acquired over time as you get older, but that should be done by everyone, regardless of their gender. People gotta eat.

4. Wear makeup. It's true that makeup can make people feel much more confident in their appearance. Tons of people wear makeup everyday and tons of people don't. Just because someone is wearing makeup doesn't mean they're prettier than you, the only thing it means is simply that they're wearing makeup and you aren't. Who cares? Also, a good sense of humor and a moral compass>a pretty face.

5. Date boys. Or really even date at all. Some girls like boys, some girls like girls, some girls like both, and some girls like neither. Historically, and in terms of evolution and procreation, women and men have been couples in order to grow population. However, that's irrelevant now, as population has shown no alarming decrease since people started being open about and embracing their sexuality. You're not less of a girl if you're attracted to girls. That's like saying someone isn't Italian if they don't love Italian food. Just stupid. Love who you love, it ain't nobody else's business.

6. Downplay yourself. Don't let your gender decide what you can and can't do. Don't hold yourself back from pursuing a career in ice hockey just because it's historically been a male dominated sport. Similarly, don't fade back into the "I'm just a woman," darkness. Hell yeah you're a woman, so make all the rest of us proud.

7. Have children. It's not abnormal to be repulsed by the mere thought of carrying a small human in your body for 9 months. Some people want kids, some don't. So what?

8. Wait for the guy to come to you. This isn't 1954, if you like a guy and might wanna go on a date with him, let him know. It's bullshit that men don't like when women make the first move. They'll be flattered. And if they think it's weird, forget 'em.

9. Be a housewife. Again, not 1954. Find a job that makes you happy and work your ass off. Don't think your duties as a woman are to cook and clean. Bring home the bacon, sister. Have your husband cook dinner with said bacon, while you're at it. Because once again, not 1954.