9 Reasons Every First Year Student Should Go Through Recruitment

Push yourself and go through recruitment.

21

Before you enter the big, scary world of college, you probably already have a preconceived idea of fraternity and sorority life. Recruitment is either something you have circled on your calendar, that you've been daydreaming about for months or it's something you would like to stay as far away from as possible. The media often portrays the stereotypical qualities of sorority life- superficiality, parties, promiscuity, etc. which causes certain girls to write off the idea of going through recruitment entirely. But as a girl who was a self-proclaimed anti-girl's girl and is now throwing what I know constantly, here is why I believe every first year student should go through recruitment.

1. To meet other first year students.

Trust me, nothing bonds two people together quite like nerves. You might meet your new BFF just by making conversation between rounds.

2. To meet older students.

As a first year, it can seem like the only people you're ever going to meet are in your grade. You go through orientation, welcome week, classes and the only people you meet are under the age of 20. Recruitment gives you an opportunity to pick the brain of older students (and proves that you will survive living on your own!).

3. To work on your conversational skills.

After going through recruitment, you could make conversation with a lamppost. It teaches you how to effectively hold a conversation with a complete stranger for a long period of time- and while it is extremely awkward at first, it's a skill you'll learn to cherish.

4. To wear your favorite clothes.

Let's be honest, as a first year student we all stuff our closet full of dresses and skirts only to find that the only items of clothing we wear are oversized and as similar to pajamas as possible. Recruitment is an excuse to break out your favorite necklace and maybe even a pair of heels.

5. To learn how to put your best foot forward.

It's all about selling yourself! Whether or not that idea seems a bit superficial, you will need those skills when you apply for internships and jobs. Practice makes perfect.

6. To learn about volunteer opportunities in the area.

Every sorority has their own philanthropy in the area that they support. Regardless of the final home you find yourself in- you can always get involved in making your community a better one and recruitment will give you a great list of places to start.

7. To try new things!

College is a time to experiment and push your boundaries. It's the time to find out you like sushi, to stay up night bonding with the girl down the hall, and to join a club (sorority) you never knew you'd enjoy.

8. To bond over cool, local food.

Because honestly, a lot of conversations tend to revolve around food. Recruitment is a great way to find out where the nearest Chipotle is and which cute coffee shop is the best for studying.

9. To find your home.

Every sorority has a personality. And even if you proclaim you'd "never fit in," there is still a sorority with like-minded, similar girls that will love you for all of your qualities. You will find the people you love, the people that get on your nerves every once in a while, and the girls who will be by your side through anything. Would you really want to give up this opportunity?