9 Reasons Why You Should Travel Young

9 Reasons Why You Should Travel Young

Even if you're way too broke.

9
9 Reasons Why You Should Travel Young
Alanna Lustfield

If you're a college student who loves to travel, you've probably heard it all. Concerned parents tell you, "it's too dangerous. What if you can't get ahold of somebody for help?" Your family members tell you it's not smart to waste your hard-earned money on trips when you should be spending your time establishing yourself first. Career, family, then travel. Career, family, then travel. It doesn't have to be that way!

If you're a young person who shares these same concerns, fear not. It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, and whatever is going on at home can probably wait until after a weekend getaway. If you go through your entire life afraid, you'll never see anything actually worth seeing. There are several reasons why traveling when you're young could be the best decision you've ever made. So, grab some friends, split the gas money, and get going.

1. You learn how to budget.

We all know traveling can be expensive. Trust me, I grew up in a single-parent home where traveling was pretty much entirely out of the question. But it doesn't have to break the bank. Sure, it would be cool to fly over the Atlantic Ocean and shop your heart out in a foreign country, not thinking twice about finances and student loans. Looking at plane ticket prices and hotel costs can be intimidating, but that's why you have to travel smarter. Go local! Drive a few hours with your best friends to see your favorite sports team play at a different stadium. Find the closest National Park and take a weekend off to explore as much of it as possible. If you do travel to a big city, take the subway or walk. Pass on expensive transportation like taxis when you can. Check into hostels. Not only are they friendly towards young people, but they're also cheap. Instead of flying, take a Greyhound bus or AmTrak across the country. If you love to travel, you quickly learn how to stretch your budget, no matter how small, to fit in everything you want to see. But, if you don't, you can always go back later.

2. You get to experience different food.

One of the greatest things about traveling is the food. Almost nothing is better than trying out new foods in the place that made them famous. Especially in big cities, the streets are lined with vendors selling foods from all over the world. Fast food pizza will never compare to paying $5 for half of a large pizza and a drink in New York City. Baseball parks make the best hotdogs. Seafood is 100 times better on the coast than in the middle of the country, and nobody gets comfort food quite like the South. Expand your dietary horizons, and you just might find a new favorite food!

3. You learn about history without a textbook.

As much as we all love long excerpts about history, it's never the same as actually seeing it. We all learned about the Boston Massacre and who our founding fathers were and what they did, but seeing where history was actually made changes your perspective entirely. We understand that there must be cemeteries full of names of soldiers from hundreds of years ago that fought for our freedom, but the feeling you get standing in front of where their bodies are laid to rest is unlike any feeling your history class can give you. Seriously, go out and see the world. Learn a few things about what made that place what it is today. You will appreciate history in a whole new way.

4. You'll step out of your comfort zone.

Even within a country, different states or cities have very different cultures. You don't have to travel across the world to see different lifestyles (although it certainly doesn't hurt). If you live in a quiet, small Midwestern town like myself, traveling to New York City or any other major city can be overwhelming and scary. They fit more people in one apartment building than there are in my entire hometown. When we force ourselves to do things that make us a little uncomfortable, we learn our limits and just how far we can push ourselves. You may even surprise yourself and do well under pressure! Learn a new skill in a new place, ask a local about what makes their home special and try to experience that as much as you can during your visit. While you're there, think "I should" instead of waiting until you leave to think "I wish I had."

5. You're in the best physical shape of your life.

Hiking up a mountain or walking 15 miles in one day is a whole lot easier when your body isn't 20 years older. If there is something you've always wanted to do that requires a good deal of physical activity, get it done now before you can't anymore. It's easy to cut costs down on a trip by walking or biking. This may not be as much of an option for you down the road after you've had children and age has worn you down a bit.

6. You'll have a mortgage soon.

Sure, traveling costs money. That's why it's much smarter to do it now rather than later! Someday, you'll have to save up vacation time from your full-time job, pay the bills, and probably tow some kids along (which are super expensive just on their own). Family vacations with your kids are fun, but traveling to another state with only $100 and a bus ticket is way easier to do without all of those other things.

7. You'll get to tell your kids about it someday.

Kids love to hear about all the cool things their parents did when they were younger. You'll have stories and memories to share with your children that will spark wonder and amazement within them that could turn into a love for history and travel someday too.

8. You'll hear stories that you'll carry with you forever.

When traveling, you meet so many incredible people with stories unlike any other you've heard. You'll talk to people from all over the world who are more than willing to share their little bits of wisdom with you. You might find yourself sharing something in common with somebody 40 years older and 1,500 miles away from you. While the world is a diverse and incredibly large place, each person you meet makes it feel just a little smaller. Take the time to get to know the people around you, and you will learn more about yourself.

9. Life is short.

Life doesn't last forever. We all know this. We aren't guaranteed another day or another year. If there is somewhere you're dying to go, do it. When you're 85 years old, you won't look back and regret the time and money spent learning about other people and seeing the world. You'll never remember the time you had a little extra cash lying around doing nothing for you. Spend your life learning, seeing, and listening. Get out there and experience the world. You won't regret it.

“I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher