9 Reasons Why JMU Students Can't Wait For Summer To End

If you aren't excited to go back to college, you definitely chose the wrong school.

136

Sweet summertime. It seems as though it was just yesterday everyone was packing up their dorms and apartments and rushing home to begin their summer. We couldn't seem to get away from finals fast enough and dive into our study abroad trips, relaxing vacations, or working full time to save up some extra money. While being home with family or traveling is always nice during the summer, I think it is safe to say that every Duke I know is ecstatic to head back to the happiest place on earth.

Here are just a few reasons why we can't wait for summer to end and fall semester to begin.

1. Frog Week.

Frog Week, 1787 Orientation, welcome week; call it what you want, it's hands down one of the best weeks of the semester. With little to no responsibilities, Frog Week is a time the upperclassmen get to welcome the freshman onto campus and show them what it means to be Duke academically, and socially.

2. UREC.

Our university's recreation center is like none I have seen before. With group exercise classes, top of the line workout equipment, and a smoothie/salad shop, UREC is one of JMU's treasures. PSA to freshmen: DO NOT TAKE UREC FOR GRANTED. Coming home for the summer and realizing you have to pay for a gym when you had one five seconds from your door is a total bummer.

3. Gaynelle from E-hall and Herb from Chick-fil-A.

It is literally impossible to not smile when you see one of these two employees on campus. Ugh, just the thought of seeing them again makes my heart happy.

4. Football Games.

MADISON, JAMES MADISON. There's nothing like 23,000 Dukes gathering together and making sure the entire city of Harrisonburg knows we have school spirit.

5. The food.

Let's just take a second and reminisce on Panini's from Cheese Please, grilled chicken with Sriracha ranch from SSC, and Sunday morning brunch at E-hall. Man, does JMU have good food; and we aren't the only ones that think that. Just recently JMU was named #5 best college foods in America on the Princeton Review Board, one place above Virginia Tech. That's right y'all. We beat Tech, again.

6. The sunsets.

Good Lord almighty, JMU sunsets are like no other. And it's not just a one-time thing, these beautiful sunsets beam across the sky every single night. Ugh, we are so lucky to be Dukes.

7. The people.

They didn't lie when they told you that college brings you your best friends. While you may have seen each other once or twice over the summer, you now get to spend every waking moment with your closest friends and it is such a great feeling. Even at JMU, strangers are practically your BFFs because everyone is just so dang friendly.

8. The social life.

College is the only time in your life that you can be an alcoholic and your parents will still be proud of you. Real talk though, JMU's social life is like no other. There is literally always something to do on campus or around Harrisonburg.

9. The quad.

This is the perfect place to hang your hammock, study, have a lunch date, or just relax. It's impossible to walk across the quad and not fall in love with JMU.

Everyone is dying to be back because JMU is just that great. Whether you're a rising senior, an incoming freshman, or somewhere in between, get ready because the wait will be over in two short weeks.

J-M-U DUKKKESSS