9 Reasons The University Of Minnesota-Twin Cities Is The College For You

As if Goldy Gopher wasn't enough!

1664

With so many colleges to choose from, you can get lost in a sea of acceptance letters. There are so many reasons to choose a college: potential majors, size, price, proximity to home. The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is an amazing place to earn your undergraduate degree or even graduate degree in whatever you please. These nine things differentiate the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities from other colleges, but there are also so many more than just these nine things.

1. The sports

While the University of Minnesota has not had the best teams in the past, the spirit that we carry for these sports teams is like no other. The games are a blast! With a new coach, hopefully the football team will only do better. Minnesota is the state of hockey, so obviously we hold a lot of pride in our hockey teams too! SKI-U-MAH!

2. The beautiful view of Minneapolis

The view of Minneapolis that you get when walking on the Washington Ave. Bridge is breathtaking. The sun sets to the left of the city, and every time it does you can see dozens of people taking pictures of it. It is probably one of the three best views of Minneapolis, and it is right here on campus!

3. The people

With the sheer number of people that go to the University of Minnesota, you are bound to meet new people almost everyday. This makes it easy to make friends and find people that you have things in common with. While you may think that because it is such a large campus that you won't be able to see your friends or you will just feel like a stranger in a giant crowd, I disagree. Schedules are often pretty similar week to week, and so you end up seeing a lot of people you know or recognize.

4. Goldy the Gopher

Goldy Gopher is such a character, everybody loves a good mascot don't they! If you go to a game, you'll see him spin his tail, spin his head, and even spin his body!

5. The location

With campuses in both Minneapolis and St. Paul, buses and the green line metro, you are easily able to go off campus and experience the great Twin Cities. There is always something to do! Whether it be going to a concert, going on a walk across the Stone Arch Bridge, going to a club, seeing a play, or just grabbing a bite to eat the Twin Cities will impress you. I'm sure of it. I personally suggest a walk across the stone arch bridge and through the trails that will bring you beneath it.

6. Homecoming and Spring Jam

The University of Minnesota knows how to throw a good party! Homecoming and Spring Jam are the two biggest events on campus. Musical sensations like Kesha, Iggy Azalea, Walk the Moon, and Big Sean have headlined! All the gopher pride you can take is wrapped up into these two weeks! There truly is no better time to be a Gopher, except when we beat Wisconsin!

7. The academics

The University of Minnesota is highly competitive to get into. In 2015 they accepted only 45% of applicants. However, the work doesn't just stop when you get accepted. It has only just begun. The classes are rigorous, but you also gain such a deep knowledge from these classes. In 2011 the University of Minnesota came in eighth among public universities for the amount of money they put into research, but what has come out of this research? The University has taken part in pioneering open-heart surgery and organ transplants. The first open-heart surgery was done here as well as the first bone marrow, kidney, and pancreas transplants. Inventions that came out of the University include Black-box flight data recorders and Ziagen, an anti-AIDS medicine.

8. The size of the campus

The University of Minnesota ranks fourth for the largest campus in the United States. With this comes a ton of study space, and plenty of new places to experience. A ride on the campus connector can take you from the campus on West bank across the Mississippi River to the main campus East Bank and then all the way to the St. Paul campus. The St. Paul campus is a nice place to get away from all the commotion of the main parts of campus. It has lots of open space to throw a frisbee, study in the sun, take a nap, and you can even buy some fresh ice cream made from University of Minnesota cows.

9. The Weisman Art Museum

The Weisman Art Museum is located in the heart of campus. This museum has so much beautiful art, and often updates their collections! You could definitely spend hours at the Weisman. They have a cute little gift shop, and host events often. Whether you spend a Saturday afternoon or just have an hour to kill between classes, this museum will amaze you.