5 Reasons To Get Involved In Undergrad Research Today

I didn't start doing research until my senior year. Here's why you need to start right now.

7

How many times have you heard, "When one door closes, another opens"? How many times have you rolled your eyes at the saying? The expression reminds me of the classic, "You'll find someone better." Well, thanks, that's great, but it doesn't help me now. Does another door really always open when one closes? For me, it did.

After having my graduation application returned to me the semester before I planned to graduate, I found myself standing in front of a lot of closed doors. Three major changes and the addition—and subsequent dropping—of a minor had landed me on track to a biology degree and, eventually, PA school. As I scrambled to find classes to satisfy my remaining requirements, it occurred to me that I had never done research. Just the word itself was intimidating to me.

A semester of research led to a summer research program, which led to a year of research, which ultimately led me to change my career path and apply to grad school. As a result, I firmly believe that every college student, of any major, if only for a semester, should be involved in research.

Here's why:

1. You're qualified.

The main reason I didn't do research until my senior year is because I thought I was underqualified. I figured research was for the pre-med students who sat at the front of the classroom and answered all of the questions. But it's not! Undergrad research is meant to be a learning experience. The whole point of research is that you're seeking an answer to something unknown. Professors who take on students will almost always be happy to show you the ropes. In fact, you might even experience new things together, be it a new process or method of doing things. Do not be intimidated. If you're interested and willing to learn, you're qualified.

2. You might discover new interests.

When I started doing research, I was interested in the clinical aspect of medicine. What I discovered, however, is that understanding the molecular side of things is much more fascinating to me. I like to understand how things work so I can tackle them when they don't work. It was doing research that made me realize that I didn't want to be a healthcare provider; instead, I plan to work in a lab like the CDC, developing vaccines and other drugs to make the world a more healthful place.

3. The relationships you form are invaluable.

I spent most of undergrad minding my own business and only talking when I had to. As a result, I was almost a senior before I really knew anyone in my department. Research forced me to work not only with other students, but also with my professor. Developing relationships with your professors is helpful when you find yourself in their classes, but also when you move on. When it came to letters of recommendation, my professor was able to write me a strong one. Not only did this help me get into grad school, but it significantly increased my chances of getting into my lab of choice. Having a professor who knows your work ethic and intellectual abilities will help you go far.

4. Speaking of grad school...

I definitely didn't get into grad school because of my GPA. What got me in was the experience on my CV. Research experience is to grad school as healthcare experience is to PA school. You may have a great GPA and great GRE scores, but the amount of research experience you've had can make or break an application. In addition to the potential prestige of having a few publications to your name, research experience lends to your credibility and trustworthiness. PIs (principal investigators) want to know that you know your way around a lab. They need to know that another professor trusted you enough to do their work for them, and they need to see dedication to the field. Undergrad research labs are pretty much the only labs you'll ever be able to walk into with zero experience and expect to get a job.

5. It's fun!

So maybe spending hours counting the number of fluorescent nuclei in a culture of pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells isn't your cup of tea. I'll take that one for you. With research opportunities offered by multiple professors in nearly every academic department, you're sure to find your niche. Good labmates and an even better professor can make you forget how much work research really is. Who knows; it might even become the best part of your day!