9 Reasons To Visit Costa Rica

9 Reasons To Visit Costa Rica

It's Pura Vida!

62
9 Reasons To Visit Costa Rica

Though it occupies merely 20,000 square miles of land, Costa Rica boasts one of the greatest varieties of plant and animal life on Earth. Do a quick Google image search of Costa Rica and you'll fall in love with the place before you even arrive! Here are some reasons why you should consider Costa Rica for your next vacation:

1. The Happiness

Costa Rica has been ranked as one of the happiest countries in the world, based on its high quality of life, good life expectancy rate, and small ecological footprint. The country abolished its army in 1949, and it’s been one of the most peaceful countries in Latin America for the past five decades. Everyone can learn a thing or two from Costa Rican's approach to life.

2. Because You Deserve to Be Treated Right

Costa Rica’s reputation for customer services emerges even in its language. Costa Ricans (aka Ticos) respond to thank yous with “con mucho gusto” (with much pleasure), instead of a dismissing “de nada” (it’s nothing). They say, ‘I am here to serve you’ or ‘para servirle’ in every day language and ‘a la orden’ or ‘at your order’. What you’ll find across the country is a willingness and a desire to serve!

3. It's Pura Vida

Where best to spend your vacation than in a country with a national motto of "pura vida," or pure life. The motto is not just something we put on t-shirts and souvenirs to please the tourists. The ‘pure life’ attitude is worked into Ticos’ daily lives. When you ask, ‘How are you?’ many will respond, ‘pura vida.’ If you are closing a deal on a house or completing a different transaction, it's not uncommon to hear a Tico friend say ‘pura vida.’ Not only is it worked into their language, it’s also worked into their values. For Ticos, enjoying pura vida is much more important than getting ahead, stressing out or working too hard.

4. The Beaches

Costa Rica's Pacific and Caribbean coastlines combined offer more than 750 miles of shore. Waters are warm year-round at most of the country's beaches, which range from packed tourist hubs to deserted stretches. Punta Uva and Manzanillo, both white-sand beaches, are the best on the eastern coast. The waves of Jaco and Hermosa beaches on the mid-Pacific coast attract many a surfer.

5. Surfing

Surfers love Costa Rica: the swells and breaks are great, water is warm year-round and the surf is good on both the Caribbean and Pacific sides. There are plenty of surfing schools and retreats lining the coasts, especially on the Pacific, where you can find the best waves during the rainy season from May to November.

6. The Food

Like any country, Costa Rica has its own tastes, and its main menu tends to be rice and beans, aka Gallo Pinto. A lot of its main dishes use a sauce that you will quickly come to love called Lizano Salsa. It's kind of like a BBQ sauce, but with a different flair. We also grow coffee, bananas, and chocolate.

7. The Volcanoes

One of the main tourist attractions, Costa Rica currently has five listed active volcanoes and 200+ volcanic formations. Because of them, the country has very rich and fertile soil which helps make it so lush and full of life. The volcanoes and surrounding areas are also popular areas for hiking, camping, and mountain biking.

8. The Activities

Several rivers in Costa Rica - including the longest, Pacuare - are conducive to white-water rafting, while Lake Arenal is a top windsurfing and kitesurfing destination. You can also explore the country's teeming rain forest canopy on a zip-line tour. In addition, a rich marine diversity makes Costa Rica popular with anglers and snorkelers. The coral reef off Manzanillo Beach on the Caribbean coast is the best snorkeling spot in the country.

9. Biodiversity

More than 850 avian species make bird-watching popular in Costa Rica, which accounts for nearly 5 percent of the world's biodiversity. Carara Biological Reserve boasts the country's largest population scarlet macaws. Manuel Antonio National Park, one of the country's most visited national parks, is home to approximately 100 types of mammals, including the rare spider monkey. For a chance to see nesting turtles, head to Tortugero National Park.

So now that you went through all these great reasons about why you should visit Costa Rica, hesitate no more and book your tickets for your next vacation!