9 Reasons To Love Seattle

9 Reasons To Love Seattle

A city that is so much more than rainy weather and the Space Needle.

317
9 Reasons To Love Seattle

Seattle is best known for its Space Needle and of course "Grey's Anatomy," but what most people don't know about Seattle is that there is so much hidden behind the rain and foggy atmosphere that will leave you wanting to move here yourself. Apart from great coffee, tourist attractions, and great music, Seattle is a unique city that has so much to offer to those who visit. Here are just a few of the things that make Seattle my favorite city in America, and my favorite place to call my old home.

1. The Space Needle

We'll go ahead and start with the obvious as to why Seattle is such a unique city. The Space Needle, originally opened in 1962, stands 605 feet in the air and is a major tourist attraction that basically defines Seattle. You hear Seattle, the Space Needle automatically comes to the minds of those who have visited, or even haven't visited, the city. It may seem like just another building to you, and it may be overpriced (darn tourist attractions), but the view from the top is unbelievable and it's definitely something that I think everyone who visits Seattle needs to do. Not only is the view from the top of the Space Needle pretty remarkable, but there is also a lot to do on the ground surrounding it in the Seattle Center. A huge fountain full of laughing children playing in the water that coordinates to music, local ice cream vendors (unbelievably fantastic ice cream, might I add), an interactive children's museum and much, much more awaits you at the bottom of the Space Needle. It is so easy to spend hours and hours just wandering around and taking in the scenery, all for free too (except going up in the Space Needle that is... again, dang overpriced tourist attractions!). The Space Needle makes Seattle what it is and if you ever have the chance to go, do not pass it up.

2. The Music

Pictured above is probably one of the most uniquely designed music museums that you will ever lay your eyes on. The EMP Museum (Experience Music Project Museum), also located in Seattle Center, is a museum entirely dedicated to sound and music and good old rock 'n' roll. Not only is this museum a cool place in Seattle that has to do with music, but also so many amazing bands and artists have made their names in Seattle. Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters are all bands that originated in Seattle. Need I say more? It's definitely a home for Rock and Roll fame, and this alone is enough for me and many others to be proud to call Seattle home. Good music breeds good people.

3. Starbucks

Now, I love Starbucks as much as the next person and I won't even begin to start blaming all "common white girls" for their love of Starbucks because I mean really, how can you not like Starbucks? But what many Starbucks lovers don't realize is that Seattle is the home of the coffee brand, and everyone from Seattle knows that Seattle has the greatest coffee on Earth. I might be exaggerating, but still, Starbucks and Seattle go hand in hand, and one wouldn't be the other without it.

4. Pike Place Market

Believe me when I tell you that you will never ever experience anything like Pike Place Market in Seattle anywhere else. Free samples, men throwing giant fish to each other and people trying to not get hit by them, spices and flowers galore. This place is amazing and no other market compares to Pike. If you like free samples, souvenirs, candy shops and a popping atmosphere, then this is your place to go.

5. The Post Alley Gum Wall

Located right on the other side of Pike Place Market is the Post Alley Gum Wall, a wall entirely covered in millions of people's chewed gum. Disgusting, right? Wrong. I mean, yeah, you're right. This place is actually quite disgusting considering there are millions of pieces of chewed-up gum on this wall, but when you think about it, its actually pretty amazing. Think about all of the different people who have made their way to this part of the world and left a little piece of their gross chewed up DNA on this giant, gum-filled piece of collective art. Sure, when you really think about it, it's pretty gross, but still pretty amazing at the same time. What better place than Seattle—one of the artsiest, most unique cities in America—to put a giant wall piled high with chewed gum? Really, it's cool, trust me on this one.

6. The Fremont Troll

Yes, he is absolutely terrifying to kids, but really, how cool is this? Located under the north end of the Aurora bridge in Seattle sits this giant troll just waiting to smash the cars that pass under (I'm joking, obviously). As a kid, I remember my sister and I would beg and beg to go see this troll, and why? I'm not so sure, but he was cool and fun to climb on. Of course, we all have heard the children's story about the troll under the bridge, and here he is! Right in Seattle, just waiting to be climbed on and photographed. This may not seem that cool to those who haven't really seen it, but at the end of the day, it's little quirky things like the Fremont Troll that make Seattle all that it is.

7. Seattle Underground

Hidden under the streets of Seattle in the Pioneer Square area, you can wander around the abandoned buildings of the earliest years of Seattle. After a fire destroyed most of the city in 1889, it was decided that they were going to raise the city out of the swampy grounds it was initially built upon, which then led to the creation of Seattle Underground. Walls were put up and this little piece of the city was forgotten until one man decided to start walking tours through it. Here you can see what lies in the past of Seattle and it really is amazing to take this tour into the past of what once was the busy city.

8. The Seahawks

Okay, okay. This one may be a little biased. But hey, most of my family are born diehard Seahawks fans. You gotta support where you come from! Also, go, Huskies! (You're welcome, Dad.)

9. The Views

Forget about all the rain and cloudiness that muddy up Seattle's reputation. I am here to tell you that there is nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, like a sunny day in Seattle. The birds are out, the breeze is blowing and the views are unlike anything you have ever seen. Seattle is such a beautifully unique city, and I have never been more proud to call any other place my home.