9 Reasons Why My Little Sister Is My Best Friend

Having a little sister means always having a friend

547
Anna Brower

I have been blessed to have both an older and younger sibling. As the middle child, I have a special bond with my older brother and my younger sister, but the bond between sisters is unlike any other. I believe God gave us younger sisters to boss around, to teach us patience, and to have a best friend by our side. We fight, we yell, we annoy each other and steal the other's stuff, but at the end of the day, my younger sister is my best friend.

1. She is the only one who truly understands just how crazy your family is.

Nobody else can truly understand the craziness of a family reunion. Your little sister knows when to rescue you from your chatty aunt or your drunk uncle. Other friends don't understand the dynamic of your family and can't follow the breakups, marriages and births. She can share in the embarrassment when your dad makes a scene in the grocery store or when your brother dances through the mall.

2. She knows when I need to cry it out and when I need put in place.

My younger sister is the first person I go to when I need a good cry. My little sister offers her tender shoulder to cry on and her words of wisdom. She knows when I need to cry it out, but she also knows when I'm being dramatic and need to step back, get control of my emotions and get my shit together. I know that she lovingly tells me what is in my best interest. No one has my best interest at heart quite like she does.

3. She loves me through my bad decisions.

Your younger sister looks up to you and wants to be like you and because of this, she looks beyond bad decisions to see you for all that you are. She supports you through the bad boyfriends, the fashion mistakes and the decisions that you wish you could undo. She knows that at your heart, you're still the loving, caring and genuine big sister that she loves.

4. She knows when I need to talk before I do.

Even if you are only texting, she knows when something is up. She knows when you are having a bad day. You two are connected on a level that isn't possible with other friends. Your little sister has been with you through it all so it's not surprising that she gets you like no one else.

5. She can make me laugh like nobody else.

We can be fighting one minute and the very next taking goofy pictures together. A sister is willing to do a silly dance, sing a goofy song and do whatever else it takes to see you smile. Her hilarious Snapchats in the middle of the day, her funny texts about what is going on at home and good memories are enough to get you through any bad day.

6. I never have to doubt her loyalty.

Friends come and go, but little sisters are a best friend that you've had since she was born and will have until you leave this earth. Your little sister will stand by your side no matter what happens in the world around you. As a little sister, her loyalties lie with you first and with everyone else second.

7. She is my biggest cheerleader.

Aside from my parents, my little sister is my biggest cheerleader. She is at sporting events and awards ceremonies. She cheers me on from home while I'm at school. She celebrates with me in my success and comforts me in my failures. She pushes me and cheers me on as I work towards my dream.

8. She is my secret keeper and confidant.

I know that no matter what I tell my sister, she will fiercely guard my secret. She knows to hide the embarrassing middle school pictures when I bring a guy home. She understands that some stories are better left in the past. A secret with my sister is always safe.

9. No matter how far apart we are, she will always be with me.

My sister and I have always been close, but it wasn't until I went to college that I realized how lucky I was to have her. Her sass is always part of my personality. Her passion for helping others inspired me to find my passion. She makes me want to be the best I can be even from a distance. I know that no matter where life takes us, parts of her will always be in my heart.