Nine Perks Of Owning A Pit Bull As Told By 'Parks and Recreation'

They are the best dog breed, it is certainly not debatable!

679

In June 2009 my family adopted King Wigglebutt, the most adorable pit bull ever. So, when Andy and April from "Parks and Recreation" adopted Champion, a three-legged rescue, I paused for a second in sheer excitement. I was excited to see a dog similar to mine on TV! And everything they portrayed about pit bulls was 100 percent true.

These are a few of the perks of owning a pit bull that "Parks and Recreation" masterfully shared.

1. Rescued Pit Bulls are undoubtedly the best companions.

After April discovered how much she loved animals, she adopted a ton of them. Unfortunately she could only keep one, and she kept Champion! Rescue pets, it seems, are portrayed to be ten times more loving and grateful than you would expect. Fun fact: Champion was played by an actual rescue dog named Lucy!

2. Pit bulls are hard to miss.

While they are gentle creatures, pit bulls are not the most graceful. They're big and clumsy, which makes it easier for their owner to tell where they are at all times.

3. Pit bulls love to kiss.

All dogs love to lick, but these dogs constantly show affection through their wet, slobbery kisses. In "Parks and Recreation," any time someone got remotely close to Champion, he left his loving mark all over their face.

4. Pit bulls are not vicious.

During the time when Andy and April had Champion, he proved to be a gentle and loving companion. This adaptation by the writers proved to be huge, because it sought to dismantle the stereotype of pit bulls as a violent breed. Let's be real, April was way more vicious that Champion.

5. Pit bulls have a great sense of humor.

I guess when you're working with comedic geniuses like Chris Pratt and Amy Poehler you have to have a sense of humor. But pit bulls actually don't have to be in a show to be hilarious! They don't take themselves seriously and often goof around.

6. Pit bulls have no idea how big they are.

They are a relatively large breed that whole-heartedly believe they are lap dogs. Maybe it's something about wanting to snuggle with their owners, but these dogs just can't stand being too far away!

7. That classic pit bull smile can make anyone happy.

One look at that gorgeous, wide smile and you find yourself completely in love. Instantly, their gazes make the onlooker forget all their problems. Stress is replaced with a need to cuddle and love that dog.

8. Pit bulls help owners become better human beings.

I don't know if it's the perks of having a dog or having one that is just too good to be true, but these dogs help make their owners better people. Through their great personalities they inspire owners to be happier, more attentive and definitely more interesting.

9. Pit bulls don't need to be "whole" to be awesome.

As Champion taught us, pit bulls are awesome no matter what. Despite his impediment, this famous dog was always energetic, constantly loyal and cute as a button. Without a doubt, he was the best dog on the show.