9 Parks To Visit In Chicago This Summer

9 Parks To Visit In Chicago This Summer

Try to find a day that's not too hot!

40
9 Parks To Visit In Chicago This Summer
Wiki

This summer's been a hot one, but there have been some days that are just nice enough for a stroll in Chicago's nature. Whether it's along the lake or lost in Wrigleyville, there's always parks to wander into. Some are big and have ponds and areas for dogs or other animals; others just have a nice view to offer. A lot of parks have places to eat nearby or even in the park itself, as well as unique shops that can't be found anywhere else. Of the 570 parks in Chicago, here's nine that I've really enjoyed.

1. The Museum Campus

The Museum Campus is right behind the Field Museum and runs around Soldier Field, right next to the Gold Star Families Park and Memorial. I like to consider the two as one giant park, because they run through each other and are very similar. Except, the one thing that stands out about the Museum Campus is the Great Ivy Lawn right in front of the Field Museum. There are beautiful lines of trees and it offers a nice, open space for anyone looking to let loose with a walk.

2. Burnham Park

Burnham Park starts at Burnham Harbor next to Northerly Island. A nice, shady running spot filled with trees and lots of boats in the harbor. It ends at Promontory Point right before Jackson Park. This is one of Chicago's biggest parks, and it's definitely the longest. Perfect for running or just laying out under the sun, this park is one also offers some great views of Chicago's skyline. There's also the 31st and 41st Street beaches!

3. Ping Tom Memorial Park

Ping Tom Memorial Park is a small park, but it's a nice one. It's in the middle of an open area and offers one of the best views of the Chicago city skyline. There's a nice little red bridge that runs along the length of the park, and even an area where you can rent kayaks to go down the river!

4. Wicker Park

Wicker Park is a great area to walk your dogs, go for a walk yourself, or get some fresh air. And, it's in the Wicker Park neighborhood, where there's countless cool art shops, bars, and restaurants!

5. Douglas Park

I don't think I've ever seen a greener park in Chicago. This is one of the most beautiful parks I've ever been to, and it takes at least an hour to walk through and enjoy all of it. Not only are there countless shrubs, trees, wildflowers, lilies, cattails, and dandelions; it's also a sanctuary for butterflies, birds, multicolored dragonflies, and fish! The walk around the lagoon itself is enough to call this one a gem, but there's also the lily pond, flower hall, and water court. There's even a golf course in the middle of the park. And the best part of all—come September—there's Riot Fest!

6. Humboldt Park

Humboldt Park is another beautiful park with a lagoon that stretches through most of it. It has the Little Cubs baseball field, soccer field, and a tennis court all in an area surrounded by the rest of the park's trees. In the middle of the park is the Boathouse, where there's also a cafe. Humboldt Park is also the location of the Latin Jazz Festival and the Puerto Rican Festival. You can find here multiple bird sanctuaries and the statue of Leif Erikson!

7. Palmisano Park

Palmisano Park is yet another one of those parks with a great view of the Chicago city skyline! Here in this park, you'll find a pond where ducks frequent that used to be the site of a quarry. It's also a good place to walk around, play tennis at the courts nearby, and fly kites on top of the hill!

8. Millennium Park

Millennium Park is one of the most exciting parks of Chicago. What's to miss? There's The Bean, The Jay Pritzker Pavilion for concerts, the Harris Theatre For Music and Dance, you can go ice skating in the winter, get a bite to eat, and of course, just walk around!

9. Grant Park

Grant Park is by far my favorite park in Chicago. This is one of the most enjoyable parks to walk through because of its comfortably open space in between Lower Hutchinson Field, Butler Field, and the trees; Buckingham Fountain; the lakefront; and the skatepark! There's also the many walkways of shrubs, trees, and flowers to get lost in. The best part of all though is—come August—Lollapalooza!