9 Things That Come With Apartment Living

9 Less-Than-Great Things That Come With Apartment Living

Be prepared to deal with one or more of these.

6

You're getting your first apartment, woohoo! It's exciting, crazy, busy, and a whole bunch of other feelings. And if you don't know what to expect, here are 9 things you will 100% encounter during your time there.

1. Stairs

Chances are the building you're in is a walk-up, so get used to climbing up and down floors of stairs every day. This will make a lot of things into a hassle, namely food shopping. Bringing in groceries up all those stairs requires extreme talent and great arm strength.

2. Moving In

Stairs, tight hallways, and awkward landings are going to make this an interesting experience. You have to navigate upwards, all while trying not to knock into your new neighbors' door.

3. Parking

If you get home past 6 p.m., you're going to have to do some walking! People park way too close, or double park - or don't even live there. It's a big pain.

4. Being 'Boxed In"

Another issue I have encountered several times is when you go to leave, another car or truck is parked in the middle of the street. Sometimes you may have to go into other buildings and find out whose truck it is.

5. Security

You may live in a safer area of town in pricier apartments, but crime is still likely to happen. It is not always the people who live there - sometimes people come into the neighborhood looking for trouble.

*Shout out to the drunk guy on the park bench who yelled at my boyfriend to "TAKE YOUR SUNGLASSES OFF."*

6. Certain Odors...

Hey, pot may be legal in some places, and frankly, I don't care what you do or smoke. However, I do not want my apartment to smell like Snoop Dogg is right next to me.

7. Neighbors

I have had neighbors from hell. I am talking about long criminal records, yelling, violence. It's been the absolute worst.

8. Noise

Neighbors: loud. Dogs: barking. Babies: screaming. Nightstand: bottle of Tylenol.

9. Waiting to have stuff fixed

The good part about renting is not having to pay for unexpected things like your water heater breaking. However, you may have to wait a few days to have it fixed.