9 Must-See Music Videos, From The '90s To Today

Unforgettable music videos from the '90s to the present!

131

It's almost unimaginable for bands nowadays to not have music videos! A lot of videos introduce and even make or break an artist for some people.

The popularization of music videos wasn't until the 1980s when the channel known as MTV, music television, came out! Prior to the 1980s, music videos were not as prominent or expected from artists.

Here are 9 unforgettable music videos, from the '90s to the present:

The 1975 - Robbers

"Robbers" holds a special place in the hearts of The 1975 fans.

The song and video are inspired by one of Healy's favorite movies, "True Romance."

There are multiple references to the film through imagery and even one of the most iconic lyrics, "babe, you look so cool." The lyric is written on a napkin and passed to Healy in the video from his very own "Alabama Whitman." Similar to the film, where Whitman passes Clarence Worley a napkin saying, "you're so cool!"

Healy is quoted explaining why he is so intrigued by the film:

"Characters like Bonnie and Clyde always appealed to me as a teenager – couples so intoxicated with one another that they fear nothing in the pursuit of the realization of each other, actions fueled by blind unconditional love. 'Robbers' is an ode to those relationships. The type of relationship all humans long for. All or nothing. This video is about when love makes two people feel they are the centre of the universe."

Halsey - Alone

For Halsey's sophomore album, "Hopeless Fountain Kingdom," she decided to make a series of music videos that tell a story. Halsey's music video for her single "Alone" features Big Sean and Stefflon Don. The video was directed by Halsey and Hannah Lux Davis!

The video begins with Halsey walking into a masquerade ball dressed in her most flashy clothes. Halsey's great time is interrupted once she sees her former lover with another woman. Her character begins having flashbacks from a scene in her previous music video, "Now or Never."

After feeling sick and being consoled by Big Sean, Halsey is shown celebrating as her former lover stares at her confused by a note she left him.

The video is so well done and has a really awesome and complex storyline. What makes the video stand out are Halsey's vocals, the shiny outfits, and amazing symbolism!

The Hunna - Summer

"Summer" is the debut single off The Hunna's sophomore album, "Dare."

The video starts off with a montage of video clips throughout the couple's summer. The inseparable couple's love and infatuation with each other is shown through imagery and throughout the storyline.

Towards the end of the video, it appears to be the end of their summer, which is where conflict begins and the lyrics repeat "take me back to that summer."

The video is arguably the best the British rock band has put out and it flows perfectly with their song. What a great single and video to come back with!

Twenty One Pilots - Car Radio

One of Twenty One Pilots most memorable music videos is "Car Radio." The video came out in 2013 and was directed by Mark C. Eshleman.

"Car Radio" was shot before and during a concert. The beginning of the video shows Tyler Joseph sitting in the bathroom singing. Tyler begins to shave all his hair off and put on a ski mask right before he goes on stage.

Tyler joins Josh Dun, who is seen playing drums. Tyler begins walking through the crowd, who is standing still until Tyler jumps. Once Tyler jumps, the crowd loses control and Tyler makes his way back to the stage to perform the rest of the song.

Once the song ends, Tyler is seen by himself on the stage and the crowd is gone. Once he realizes the crowd is gone, he takes off his ski mask and is revealed to have a full head of hair.

After realizing nothing had happened, Tyler sings the final lyrics and falls backward off the stage as the screen goes black and the video ends.

The Knocks - Ride Or Die (feat. Foster The People)

The Knocks and Foster The People paired up to create the song of the summer! "Ride Or Die" is rising higher and higher each day on the alternative and dance charts.

The music video featuring The Knocks and Mark Foster from Foster The People recreate multiple cult classics such "White Men Can't Jump," "Pulp Fiction," "Men in Black," and "Rocky."

The unique idea has fans more and more obsessed with the song!

Maroon 5 - Sugar

Can you imagine Adam Levine at your wedding?

Neither could these newlyweds!

On December 6, 2014, Maroon 5 drove across LA to perform at every wedding they could find! All the footage is featured on their music video for their hit song, "Sugar."

What makes this video great is the uncanny reactions of so many newlyweds and their families on their special day!

Coldplay - Paradise

Coldplay's lead singer, Chris Martin created the storyline of "Paradise," which he intended to be filmed like a nature documentary.

In the music video, Chris Martin is dressed as an elephant, who escapes a zoo and attempts to hitch-hike his way to another country.

After earning enough money to buy a unicycle, the elephant runs into three other elephants, the rest of Coldplay. The elephants begin playing "Paradise" in the veld of South Africa. The video then shifts to Coldplay performing "Paradise" during one of their concerts.

The video now has over 970 million views on YouTube!

The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony" video was directed by Walter A. Stern and considered a homage to single continuous documentary fiction music video for Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy."

The video revolves around the singer, Richard Ashcroft, who is shot singing and walking around the fast pace city of East London. Never changing his direction, Ashcroft avoids getting hit by a car and is constantly hit by busy Londoners.

Nothing seems to get in his way or bother him at this moment and that is what makes the video great. The final shot of the video is of Richard Ashcroft and his band, The Verve walking down the street in the distance.

The ending of the video later leads to the beginning of the video for their song, "The Drugs Don't Work."

The 1975 - Somebody Else

The 1975 are known for putting well thought out and sometimes artsy videos! Here is another great video for their hit song, "Somebody Else."

The music video was directed bY Tim Mattia and released on July 7th of 2016. The video was based on a story that Healy wrote.

The video opens with an extended sequence of David Lynch's film, "Rabbits." The extended sequence was also in reference to the band's prior music video, "A Change of Heart," where Healy is shown in the same attire.

Once the song starts, Healy spends his night drinking, dancing, and trying to forget his heartbreak. Healy realizes that majority of the things he does in the video are hallucinations including copies of himself.