9 things You Should Definitely Be Doing To Get In The Mood For Fall

All I know is that, the mornings are getting chillier and the magic will begin soon.

658

OK, so if you're anything at all like me, you definitely don't need to force yourself to get excited that fall officially begins in a few weeks (24 days, 42 minutes, and 52 seconds to be exact). Eeeeeek! I'm seriously trying to contain my excitement here. There's nothing quite like the magic that is fall. I know when people think of all things new and fresh, they generally think of spring. However, for people like me, summer just drains the soul and fall is when all things are new and fresh again. Maybe that's a strange interpretation, I don't know. All I know is that, the mornings are getting chillier and the magic will begin soon.

Soon, the leaves will turn golden and crunch under our boots. There will be a crisp chill on our faces. The sweet smell of fresh apples and smoky bonfires will fill the air. All the things that make us feel warm and giddy inside will soon return, like: football (perhaps even the all-too-familiar noise of your husband screaming at the TV, which of course is an inanimate object), festivals, haunted houses, hay rides, pumpkin patches, corn mazes, and cozy sweaters. Some of the best holidays are in the fall like Halloween and Thanksgiving. Soon, the Spirit Halloween stores will open and we will all get to share the excitement (and pressure) of picking out a super-awesome costume. Or, if you're like me, you will simply live vicariously through your kiddo(s) and dress them in something utterly adorable -- this takes all the pressure off your own (likely lame) costume. Oh, and the best shows will soon return for our viewing pleasure (e.g., The Walking Dead). Lastly, the absolute best thing of all that will soon be gracing us with its presence is my dear friend, pumpkin spice. Perhaps you've heard of it. Sure, sure, people make fun of it... pumpkin spice this and that, pumpkin spice coffee-creamer, pumpkin spice Cheerios, pumpkin spice bleach (if that's even a real thing). I say, they can poke fun all they want. I'll just be sitting over here joyfully enjoying all the gloriousness that is a pumpkin spice latte (#PSL). So, BOOYAH naysayers (hopefully people still say booyah).

Now, I know there's quite likely 274758 lists you've seen of "Things You Have To Do This Fall" and the like. These lists are absolutely wonderful. However, in a weak attempt to stand apart, I've assembled a list of things you should totally be doing right now to get in the fall spirit. Eh? See what I did there? Granted, these things would probably also adhere to the previously mentioned lists of "Things You Have To Do This Fall" as well, but that's no matter. We'll just pretend like this list is particularly special (humor me). I mean, it kind of is to me. Quite frankly, I don't mean to brag or anything, but there are few people I've met who are as obsessed with this magnificent season as I am. If you are one of those people, I'm sure we would probably be best friends. If you're not, I will get you there. Also, I just feel inclined to say this: if you don't like the taste, or at least the smell of pumpkin spice, it is with utter disappointment that I must just publicly condemn you right now. Just kidding, I accept all people... even you weirdo non-pumpkin lovers. But really, you're missing out on part of the magic. I feel sorry for you. I fear your soul will not be able to experience the full warmth and joy of the season. Get with it.

Anywho, here's a list of 9 things you should definitely be doing right now to get in the mood for fall and all its magic.

1. Watch "Gilmore Girls."

Even when it's not, it pretty much always feels like fall in Stars Hollow and when it actually is fall there... well, cue the enchantment. Stars Hollow is the perfect fall setting with all its magical charm and whimsicalness. Also, Lorelei and Rory add to the magic with their wit and cozy fall fashion. Plus, they always look super cozy when their watching old movies in the living room and eating takeout and well, cozy equals fall. Additionally, we can literally taste fall and feel the spirit of it at Luke's because he serves... prepare yourselves... pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon butter (gasp)! Seriously though, go watch it. You're bound to experience the magic.

Plus, you need to binge-watch it anyway to prepare for the upcoming Netflix revival.

2. Cuddle.

Enough said.

3. Book a Trip.

I'm not talking about a beach trip here, folks. Of course the beach is great all-year-round, but fall is a time for the mountains! Now I'm no travel expert, but I recommend the Smoky Mountains, specifically Gatlinburg, Tennessee. For west-coasters, I recommend Big Bear, California. I can personally vouch for these spots as I've experienced their magic. However, I'm sure you can't go wrong with any mountain town really because, I mean, fall in the mountains just equals magic. I recommend booking a cozy cabin, and a fireplace is a must.

4. Have a Harry Potter marathon... with butterbeer!

"Why don't we go and have a butterbeer in the Three Broomsticks, it's a bit cold, isn't it?"

There are few things, if any, that are more enchanting than the Harry Potter series. To complete the full experience you will need: a TV, the complete movie series, a cozy blanket, the butterbeer ingredients listed below, and a fair amount of free time (approximately 19 hours and 40 minutes, not factoring in time for food/restroom breaks).

Magically Easy Butterbeer Recipe:

Butterbeer:

2 liter cream soda

2 tablespoons butter extract

2 teaspoons rum extract

*drop the extracts into the 2 liter bottle, put on cap and slowly rotate until combined.

Cream topping:

1 7oz container of marshmallow creme

1 cup whipping cream

1 teaspoon rum extract

*add all items together in an electric mixer and combine until smooth.

Pour the butterbeer into a glass, drizzle with the cream topping, and enjoy!

(Recipe via Pinterest: designdazzle.com)

For complete marathon details, see: 1 day HP movie marathon

5. Look up haunted houses in your area -- get excited!

Seriously, go do it. If you love haunted houses, it'll get you excited!

6. Make a fall playlist.

Oh look, a list within a list. Here's a few I suggest:

Time of the Season - The Zombies

Moondance - Van Morrison

The Boys of Fall - Kenny Chesney

September - Earth, Wind, & Fire

California Dreamin' - The Mamas and the Papas

Yellow - Coldplay

and the obvious..

I Put A Spell On You - Bette Midler/Hocus Pocus version (of course!)

This is Halloween - The Nightmare Before Christmas

Halloween Theme - John Carpenter/Halloween

Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr.

7. Go Shopping.

Do I really need to give you an excuse to go shopping? Well, "I need fall stuff" is always a good one. You don't even need to splurge, really. Just go buy a few fall-scented candles, a couple of scarves, some jewel-toned sweaters, and a fresh new pair of boots. That should be enough to get you in the mood.

If you're really feeling ambitious, go get some of those WoodWick candles that sound like crackling fire, since it's probably not chilly enough to light your fireplace yet. Now, light those babies up and breathe in their delightful aromas.

8. Bake!

Pumpkin cookies, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins... I could go on and on. Here's a super easy recipe to get you started on your fall bakeathon, you little baker, you.

Ingredients:

1 box yellow or spice cake mix, or even chocolate cake mix if you want!

1 15 oz. can pumpkin purée

Directions:

1. Preheat to 350 degrees

2. Mix cake mix and pumpkin purée together, scoop into lined or sprayed muffin pans

3. Smooth over the tops with a spoon (if you care what they look like)

4. Bake 15-20 minutes or so (until toothpick comes out clean)

This makes about 12 muffins.

YUM.

9. Last, but not least... go order your first pumpkin spice latte!

You can find them everywhere now, not just at Starbucks. McDonald's even has them this year. Here's the details of when these delightful drinks are making their debut:

PSL season release dates

You're welcome. Now, go experience the magic.