9 Courses You Need To Take in College

9 Courses You Need To Take in College

These classes might not be required of your major, but not only will they fit in as some electives, they will teach you many things to get you through life.

669
9 Courses You Need To Take in College
Unigo

I'll be graduating college before I know it, but it feels wrong to leave without sharing some advice I've learned over the years that no one ever told me. Every college major has courses picked out and designed specifically to give students the best education they can gain for their field, but this usually doesn't include all the classes you probably should take--the ones not applicable to your major, but equally as important. Thankfully, everyone should have room for a couple free electives no matter their program. If you are struggling to pick some good classes for your fall semester, I highly recommend any of the classes below. They will guide you through things you didn't even realize you needed to know.

1. Basic Nutrition.

This course can teach you a lot about how to eat healthy, what to avoid on nutrition labels, and how to care for your body in general. There are so many useful things you can learn in this class that you can't risk missing out on it for some boring art lecture instead. This class really changed the way I ate, and I feel a lot healthier because of it. Some of the information might sound just like your sophomore year health class in high school, but it is never a bad idea to have a quick refresher--especially if this course can count as your science elective or just fills in three more credits with an easy A.

2. Health Psychology.

The name could vary depending on your school, but at Rowan University, I learned so much in this course that I can go on to use for the rest of my life. The biggest focus in the class was stress--how to relieve it and the dangers if you don't. There were so many tips and tricks along the way to lead a healthier lifestyle in general; I imagine using my knowledge from this course for years to come. No matter what you deal with in life, you can definitely find something useful in this class to carry with you for years.

3. Public Speaking.

No one--I repeat, no one--wants to take this course, but it can be super beneficial if you give it a chance. And don't you dare wimp out and take that bullshit online version; you may still get the credits, but how can you learn to talk in front of a crowd from the comfort of your bed and pajamas? I hated every moment of it, but I learned how to talk confidently and present ideas I may have been too afraid to share before. No matter what field you are looking to work in, this is a skill that will enhance every resume. Even if you never plan on presenting your favorite animal breed to a lecture hall again in your life, you will know how to control a meeting or successfully communicate in small groups at your future office.

4. American English Grammar.

Again, this name might vary from school to school, but if you don't already understand the importance of grammar, then you definitely need to take this course. It might not be the easiest, but your future employers will be blown away by your impeccable grammar. With the growing evolution of autocorrect and the red squiggly lines in Word, grammar is becoming a lost practice, but it is one that will always be necessary. It's not good to always rely on technology to catch mistakes, especially ones you should have learned in elementary school.

5. Communication Theory.

You will be amazed by how applicable this course can be in your daily life. In one semester, I learned so much on how behavior and language can affect the way people communicate, as well as different ways to communicate with others for the best results. Whether you are struggling with a group project in class or talking to your hot crush, this class can teach you how to dominate the language and get exactly what you want out of the conversation. I can't say enough about how important this class is.

6. Professions and Practices [for your major].

I actually took this course twice; the first time was Psychology as a Profession and Practice, and the second was with Writing Arts as a Profession and Practice. If your college offers this course for your major, I cannot stress how important it is to take this early on. I was a psych major until I took this course and realized it wasn't for me. My professor talked us through everything we could gain from our major, how to get into graduate school, what job options were available for us, and so much more. I learned how to "sell" my major's content to future employers and how to ace any interview. This was by far the most useful class I have ever taken in college, and I hope everyone else can benefit from something similar as well.

7. Sociology.

I don't need to tell you why this is important; for the rest of your life, you will be surrounded by people. They will never go away. Why not take a semester to try and understand them a little better? Any sociology course can be useful, whether it is an intro course or focused on a specific group of people like the family or workplace. As a member of society, you probably should know a little about it.

8. Any Foreign Language Course.

I chose French; I didn't think it would actually benefit me in any way until I ended up studying abroad and landed myself in Paris for a weekend. Though I wasn't fluent, I was able to say a few words to communicate with the locals. Any language course can come in handy, even if you never plan on visiting another country. From my time studying French, and even the little bit of Italian I took in high school, I can at least vaguely understand foreign words a little better than I used to, and it has helped me a lot along the way.

9. Any Study Abroad Course.

This might be your only chance to step out of your comfort zone and travel. There are study abroad programs all over the world, and your school definitely has them available for you. I was afraid of all the money, but it actually didn't cost any more than a normal semester at Rowan University would have cost me. The experience of leaving your own home and living in an entirely different place will change your life, and you have to admit it would look pretty sweet to add to a resume. Don't let time slip away before studying abroad. Take advantage of it while you can, or you might end up regretting it one day. Even if you can only take one course over the winter break (also known as J-term) or over the summer, do it!