9 Common Misconceptions About Introverts

We aren't afraid of being social.

26
Reddit/NBC

Okay, it's time this issue was addressed because it's really starting to irk me. Being an introvert in college really isn't the easiest matter. I am pre-judged based on my social habits and it's not fair. We aren't rude, weird or nerdy. We aren't dull or negative and we don't "miss out" on life. We are people who just exist in a different way and we have no problem with it. So, I am here to debunk a few common misconceptions about introverts so listen up and listen well.

1. We Don’t Have Social Lives.

We do have social lives, they're just different. Going to bars and parties aren't our favorites but we don't avoid them like the plague. We just prefer to do other things that we find fun. Those things probably including staying in and watching Netflix or hanging out with friends in a setting we like. We don't just sit at home and stare at the clock, waiting for the time to pass.

2. We Bite Our Tongues.

No, we do not. We have backbones. An introvert isn't a pushover and I'm not sure where that idea really came from. We do talk and we do have a lot to say. If we feel offended or hurt, we will tell you and we will probably raise a little bit of hell. Don't underestimate our voice.

3. We Always Like To Be Alone.

Sometimes we do, yes, but not always. Actually, most of the time we like to be left alone, not alone, and I'm pretty sure that reigns true for extroverts as well. My weekends and freer nights are always split between "me time" and doing things with friends.

4. We Aren’t Outgoing.

This one is particularly annoying because it makes us introverts sound like sticks in the mud. We are the exact opposite. We do have personalities and we are fun. I actually think some of my introverted friends are more outgoing then my extroverted friends. Most of my extroverted friends need to have a bit of liquid courage before they develop an enjoyable personality.

5. We Are Afraid To Be Social.

Really? Are we turtles? Do we retract into our shells in social situations? No, we don't. We are not huge fans of some social situations but we don't run out like chickens without heads. We are not afraid of "being social" or "social situations," we just find other things more comfortable. We thrive more in our own favorable settings.

6. We Don’t Do Well In School.

Ha. Ha. Ha. This is one is a hoot. I'm putting "not good public speakers" under this category, as well. When it comes down to it, if an individual puts the effort in, they're going to do well in school. End of story.

7. We Won’t Succeed.

That's a complete myth. Being an introvert doesn't mean we don't take initiative or aren't effective leaders. We have different ways of going about tasks but we get them done and we do them well. If anything, we're at more of an advantage because we're more independent.

8. We Can't Be Friends With Extroverts.

Yes, we can and we are. I have plenty of extroverted friends and we get along perfectly fine. Our social habits don't have to match up for us to find common interests. It is possible to make plans that make us both happy, we just have to be willing to meet in the middle.

9. We Aren't Happy.

Ah, man, I like staying in and reading instead of going out to a bar until 2:00 a.m. My life sucks! Sigh, it really doesn't. I am doing what I'm doing. You do you and I will do me. I don't need to be extroverted to be happy. The things that make extroverts happy are different from what makes an introvert happy. We have lots of fun, it's just on our own terms.