9 Things To Know About Coloring Your Hair

The only way to color way is with passion

199
Lexi Coughlin

My natural hair color was brown and I thought it was a boring color. It didn't flatter much with my ivory skin. I remembered wishing for a better hair color.

I just turned 17 when I first dyed my hair. My mom was okay with me wanting a change of color. Since my hair was so long at the time, we agreed that getting it done a salon was expensive. She ended up helping me. After a few dyes, I was able to dye my hair without assistance.

In my senior year of high school and freshman year of college, I usually colored my hair a chocolate cherry color. I have been coloring my hair a medium or darker shade of auburn. I have never been this happy with having a hair color like red. I have learned many lessons about dying hair. If you want to color hair, then you should. Here are some things you should know before you dye your hair:

1. Do NOT wash your hair less than 24 hours before dying your hair

I know it may sound gross when you don't wash your hair for a day, but you need the natural oils to absorb the dye better and clean hair can be too slippery.

2. Make sure you buy shampoo and conditioner, meant for color treatment

There are most hair professionals that will advise clients to not wash their hair as much but do not go days or weeks without washing your hair because obviously, it is bad hygiene. When you wash and conditioner your dyed hair, make sure you use this stuff that protects the color, so it doesn't fade faster over time.

3. Wait at least 48 hours to wash your hair after dying

Washing my hair less than 48 hours after I died my hair was one of my mistakes because the color ended fading faster. I know it may sound gross, but your hair needs time to process the hair dye and allow the natural oils to absorb. Before the 48 hours arrive, you can use dry shampoo, even color dry shampoo to keep your hair fresh.

4. Your hair texture could change

Depending on what kind of hair you have or how it gets along with hair dye. Before I became Redhead Lex, my hair was sort of frizzy. Semi-permanent hair dye is less damaging than permanent hair dye. As long as you leave in conditioner once in a while, you should not have a problem since it will allow the color to last longer and increase shine. Highlights are what you need to be more careful with because they are more likely to make your hair brittle if you don't take care of your hair enough. In order to avoid it, make sure you use a protein-rich hair mask.

5. There is no need to dye your eyebrows

I highly don't recommend dying your eyebrows because of higher chances of getting chemicals dripping down your eyes and it's not worth losing your sight. Your eyebrow color and hair color don't always have to match. If you don't like how they go together, you can have a professional tint your eyebrows or you can do it yourself.

6. You will have to get touch-ups

Hair dye isn't guaranteed for permanence. Since red hair dye is hard to keep, I usually color it every 5 to 6 weeks. If you want to re-dye your hair, you can get it professionally done or you can do it at home, but wait 4 weeks at the least. If you're afraid that it is too quick, that is fine because you can wait longer.

7. Be aware of the pool

Although chlorine and hair dye are enemies, don't feel discouraged having fun at the pool. Try soaking your hair in coconut or olive oil and they should be barriers to your hair. Before going in the pool, you use the shower and the water can protect your hair from the chlorine invading.

8. ALWAYS wear protective gloves

Since the chemicals are strong, they can cause your hands to peel and crack, or worse, you can have an allergic reaction to the ammonia. Whether you're allergic or not, WEAR GLOVES! Better to be safe than cause damage to your skin. You accidentally get some on, make sure you wash thoroughly with soap. Any hair dye box you purchase, there should be a pair of gloves provided, so you wouldn't have to worry about making another separate purchase.

9. Beware of the sun

Besides chlorine, ultraviolet rays are not best friends with hair dye. The sun rays can make your hair color fade faster. Wearing a hat will protect your hair and win the battle against the ultraviolet rays.