13 Nostalgic Movies To Put You In The "Spooky Season" Mood

Whoever said 13 is an unlucky number is wrong, as this 13 movie list will only invoke pure Halloween feels and nostalgia.

5
https://unsplash.com/photos/MYRG0ptGh50/share

September is a prime time to preparing for arguably one of the best holidays: Halloween. One of the simplest and most cost-effective ways to get into the mood for the spooky season approaching is by watching scary or Halloween related movies. Here's 13 of my favorite movies that always seem to help get me into the Halloween mood.

1. "Hocus Pocus"

Although this is a dated movie (if we are considering early 90's dated), it encompasses the symbols of Halloween: witches, black cats, and an older brother who doesn't want to take his sister trick-or treating.

2. "Scary Godmother"

https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/9106/9106905_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

This is one of my favorite movies, not just Halloween related, of all time. It also reminds me of one of those movies you see a clip of at age 20 and think, "I feel like I've since this circa 2004, but I don't know from what."

3. "Twitches"

This movie should definitely get credit for being one of the most original Halloween movies. It's not everyday there's a story about twin witches.

4. "The Nightmare Before Christmas"

This movie is comparable with "Hocus Pocus" in that both were produced in the early 90's. Despite this, the animation is still surprisingly detailed and well portrayed.

5. "Halloweentown"

If you think your life is hard, the main character in this film tries to live a normal life in high school while her grandma (the late Debbie Reynolds) teaches her about some things more important.

6. "Coraline"

Despite this being a children's movie, this film can truly put anyone in a spooky mood.

7. "Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed"

I'm not sure which was scarier in this movie: the monsters, or Velma trying to go on a date.

8. "Monster House"

This may be the only "children's film" that is scarier than "Coraline."

9. "Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire"

This movie can be a reminder of what characteristics vampires are supposed to have. Not reading minds, seeing the future or being very fast (cough, "Twilight" fans).

10. "Corpse Bride"

Leave it to Tim Burton to be able to combine Halloween elements with a sad love story.

11. "One Day at HorrorLand"

Although any of the "Goosebumps" movies can get you into a spooky mood, this one is my absolute favorite. It might make you never want to go to Cedar Point again, though.

12. "Child's Play"

No matter what adaptation you watch of this movie, they're all going to make you sh*t yourself equally, and never want to look at another doll again.

13. It's Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

In comparison with "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Hocus Pocus," this movie is genuinely outdated, which makes it a classic and needs to top off all spooky season movie lists.

Whether you want to put yourself in a mood for the approaching spooky season, or just want to watch some nostalgic Halloween films, these are some of the best.