8 Words That Define You As More Than Just A Pretty Face

Discover what it means to be valued.

1035

How do girls earn the description "beautiful" rather than "pretty?" What is a virtuous woman? In Proverbs 31:10, the Lord leads off with a simple question similar to the ones above: "Who can find a truly excellent woman?" Many girls try to live up to the standards of an "excellent woman" according to what the world expects, but constantly we all seem to fall short. Reason being, these are not virtuous attributes of a godly woman. No matter what a man's standards may or may not be, we can hold true to the names God has given us and see our worth through His eyes.

1. Priceless

I don't know about you, but if someone called me "priceless," I would be all in. In Proverbs 31:10, the Lord says, "She is worth far more than rubies (diamonds)." In God's eyes, we do not have to meet a certain requirement to fulfill our worth. You are priceless to Him, and what He thinks is far better than what the world thinks.

2. Valuable

"Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value." Proverbs 31:11 You are valuable and treasured by the Lord. Also, the man who is right for you will cherish you, having confidence and faith in who you are, not doubting you based on the worldly standards. Isn't it amazing that we can do whatever we want and expect our husbands to support us 24/7? Well, that brings us to our next point that may burst your bubble if you answered "yes" to that last question.

3. Respectful

According to verse 12, a wife is supposed to show the same respect (or more) that her husband shows her. "She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." In the same way that we expect men to treat us with love, we need to show that we appreciate them with love and kindness. God shows us kindness at our worst times, and He expects us to follow His example as godly women. This way, we can be given the respect the Lord says we deserve!

4. Fearless

You are fearless. When the world pressures us with work, heartache and our future, the Lord reminds us that He has given us confidence. "She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." Proverbs 31:25 I will admit that I get discouraged by the unknown and uncertainty of my future, but this verse gives me hope. No matter what the problem that you're facing may be, the Lord encourages you to be fearless, because He is in you.

5. Strong

In the same verse I quoted above, it also talks about the strength of a woman. It says that we are clothed with strength. Even when you feel like you are ready to give up and you have used the last bit of strength in you, God says otherwise. We are covered in strength because of Jesus. If we try to accomplish everything on our own, we will be empty, but with Jesus, He can renew our strength!

6. Smart

"You is kind, you is smart, you is important." Alright so that's not from the Bible, but it does sound a lot like Proverbs 31:26. "When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness." Grades do not define you. Your mistakes do not define you. Who the Lord says you are defines you! We are bright with the minds God has given us. The self-doubt is from believing the world, which tells us the opposite. No matter how discouraged you feel, just remember that God says you are brilliant!

7. Admirable

Basically, you are Queen. "Her children rise up and honor her. Her husband does also, and he praises her, saying: 'Many have done well, but you have done better than all of them.'" Proverbs 31:28-29 You are honorable and lovely! Who doesn't want to be called lovely?

8. Enough

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30 I am going to go back to the reason I wrote this listicle in the first place. "Beauty," or whatever you would like to call it, is temporary and changing. It holds a different meaning for everyone, even when it is about you. We live in this world of having to be pretty enough, good enough or smart enough, but it is never enough! The truth is that in the end, it all fades away, and what you are left with is who you are. However, Jesus is forever and He is always the same. His love endures! When we praise the Lord with everything we are, then we will be seen as beautiful by the ones who matter in our lives, such as our husbands, children, family and friends. You are worthy of praise and you are more than good enough in the eyes of the Lord! That is why you are a virtuous, truly loved woman of God.