8 Ways to Find Selflessness With God

8 Ways to Find Selflessness With God

The Art of Helping the Next One in Line

72
8 Ways to Find Selflessness With God
HDWallSource.com

1. When I first began to pray, I prayed that God would make my wildest dreams come true.

That he would gift me with the things I desired. And the more I prayed that way the more I realized that my prayers sounded more like a Christmas wish list than a conversation with the man who had the power to save my life. I say save my life, because that's just what God will do. When you find something to live for, message you have to give, a task you have to complete… life becomes a bit brighter.

2. When we spend our days walking through darkness, we are blind to all the hidden signs there ready to lead the way.

I was walking blind for so long. And it wasn't until I realized that my message was about as clear as a foggy day, that I started to pray that God would gift me much different things. And that's when it occurred to me that by asking God for the power of healing and forgiveness, I was putting myself in the path of becoming a doer. Not just wishing what I hoped for would fall into my hands, but instead going and getting it for myself.

3. For many years I convinced myself that I was stronger than God.

I was certain I knew my life better than he did. And that I could make it through without having so surrender my deepest hopes and dreams to someone who I was still not 100 percent sure truly had my back. It was then that the power of prayer changed my mind, and I was introduced to a whole new thing called selflessness.

4. Learning to be selfless in a world so selfish threatens to tear the good heart apart.

It tempts you to give up holding the door for others, because you had to hold it yourself. It convinces you that there is a fair and an unfair. And as much as I want to argue that to be true, it's just not.

5. There is no such thing as fair.

Whether you get the paddle boat and they get the yacht. Whether you get the mansion and they get the trailer. Whether they fall in love with the right one the first time, and you strike out more than a small town minor league team; fair and unfair just don't exist.

6. There is selfless, and selfish. And those two things have little to do with the things you end up with that may or may not have a resale price.

Selflessness cannot be bought. It has to be earned. Patiently achieved through life’s tests and trials. You may feel as if you are constantly biting your tongue, but you are actually patiently waiting for the right thing to say. A selfless person would rather say nothing than say something that could strike in a place that would bring about anger without cause, and bring the situation further from a resolution.

7. A selfless person would rather hold the door for someone who doesn't know what it feels like to do so, than let it slam in their face just because their upbringings or lives were different.

Driving home the other night I heard a radio jockey talking about what it meant to handle something in a way she wasn't proud of. And that's when it occurred to me that selflessness is something we experience in so many places of our lives.

When we decide to take an extra second and handle the moment with love as opposed to anger, that is selfless. On the other hand, being honest, getting angry despite the backlash it could have, and not being afraid to speak up for the silent majority is selfless too.

8. To put yourself in a path of destruction in order to take down as much negativity as possible and leave the situation with something good is an act of selflessness.

To be selfless you have to be brave, patient, and believe that in your journey to be a doer and to act, you are not walking alone.

To be selfless in its entirety, you must walk with God. You must not pray for a conflict-free life, but a life of conflicts that can find joyful and hopeful resolutions.

So I leave you with two questions.

Are you brave enough to give God two minutes of your time? Are you patient enough to be selfless?