8 Ways To Be Productive During Winter Break
popular

A checklist for making sure you are as productive as you want to be this winter break.

1092

Picture this: You just walked out of your last final exam, and all you can think about is sleeping in, spending time with family, playing board games, and making a little bit of extra cash over break. Does that ring a bell? Was that you last week?

You probably have some secret ambitions, too. If you're anything like me, you have goals for the break that don't usually get accomplished.

This article is more of a checklist of the things I want to accomplish this winter break so that I have some accountability, and maybe you'll benefit from it too! Here are 8 ways to be productive this winter break.

1. Read books

Set an attainable goal for yourself. Read one book that you've been wanting to read, or set a goal for a number of books, or compete with friends to read the most books or the most pages. During college, it is far too easy to forget to read leisurely. Get into the habit during this break to build reading time into your schedule, and then you won't lose that habit when the spring semester starts up.

2. Start preparing for the spring semester

This is not one you want to think about, but it's a good one. Buy your textbooks (as cheaply as possible), organize your binders, folders, and notebooks, and figure out what you need to do to make the spring semester that much better than the fall semester. Figure out your exercise routine for next semester, when you'll do homework, and when you'll work. Get out your planner and start organizing your schedule, too.

3. Clean up your room/car/life

I am not good at maintaining organization, but I love to organize. Being organized can relieve so much stress and anxiety. If you're going to lock yourself in your room for a day, spend it cleaning up and getting organized.

4. Cook or bake something!

We all have a Pinterest board of recipes we haven't set aside time to try. Well, now's our chance! Get to it!

5. Learn a new skill

Practice hand-lettering, drawing, a new instrument, knitting, crocheting, a sports skill... There are so many things to do and learn.

6. Visit a new museum

I've been struck recently with how little we know, but how blessed we are with thousands of exhibits. We never take advantage of them! There are immense amounts of information available to us, from primary sources, and we so often take it for granted.

7. Take a walk

Maybe more than just one walk, but start with one. Walk in places you've never walked before. Walk at parks. Walk with friends. Not only will it be great for your physical health, but it'll help you get away from work and your phone to enjoy the outdoors while you can.

8. Spend time with your family

Like, actually spend time with your family. Put your phone away (it's easier said than done), and plan outings with cousins and grandparents that you rarely see. There are few better ways to spend your time.