8 Things You Know Are True If You Went Or Still Go To YSU

Home of the Penguins and construction.

87
YSU Abroad Office

If you currently attend YSU or have in the past then I am almost certain you will find this list to be true. There are certain peculiar and odd things about every university but I believe Youngstown State University makes it all worth it.

1. Construction has taken over Youngstown State's campus.

President Tressel has done amazing things for YSU's campus including, re-doing almost every street surrounding the campus (at the same time). Don't get me wrong, I think this is an awesome thing for the campus and it was certainly necessary to fix the roads, however, it is always fun to crack jokes about it. I'm pretty sure we might qualify for a Guinness World Record for 'Most Roads Under Construction at the Same Time'.

2. Judgment from your "friends".

When I decided to go to Youngstown State University, a lot of my "friends" made fun of me because I wasn't going to a private or larger state college. People even referred to YSU as "You Screwed Up". I loved going to Youngstown State University and wouldn't have chosen another place for my education. I certainly understand that YSU accepts more students than private and some state colleges but if anything, I believe it proves that YSU gives an opportunity to students who might not have had the chance to attend college. Although some people are making fun of you for going to "You Screwed Up", at least you're not paying $45,000 a year for tuition.

3. Going downtown and knowing half of the people in the restaurant/bar.

It is certainly hard to go downtown to O'Donold's or Suzie's Dogs and Drafts without seeing half of the people in your major and/or class. Youngstown State has a lot of student's but you always seem to see the same one's every time you go shopping or out to eat.

4. Never getting days off.

It always made me laugh when my friends from other schools would text me and say "What are your plans for fall break? Will you be in town?". So many other colleges have fall break, snow days and minor holidays off. You always know to never get too excited when it starts to blizzard outside because you will most likely be driving to school in that blizzard tomorrow on your way to your 8 A.M. You can know for sure that if you go to YSU you are certainly getting the most out of your education.

5. Making the decision to be 'risky' or be 'safe' when deciding where to park.

I was often faced with the decision to park in the parking deck or in a parking lot. Of course the parking decks are usually a lot closer to your destination, however, the falling ceiling, tight spaces and bad driving is a bit of a discouragement. The parking lots are always a much safer place for your car but they require you to walk a farther distance, possibly even at night. Parking at the time always seems like such a huge task but once you're parked and in class, you are just happy you made it.

It is fun to joke about the small setbacks and quirks that every college has, however, Youngstown State has so much to offer concerning culture, education, financial aid, and community.

6. Being surrounded by diversity.

One of my favorite things about attending Youngstown State University was the fact that from the time I left my dorm room to the time I reached my class, I most likely heard more than 3 languages. Youngstown State is an amazing University if you are seeking to learn and interact with people from cultures other than your own. I was always encouraged by how much YSU valued culture, traditions, and diversity. YSU certainly accepts everyone.

7. Having access to unlimited help, facilities, and resources.

Youngstown State offers endless amounts of help to each and every student. Tutoring services, counseling services, gym facilities, mentor programs, health care facilities and so much more are offered for free to all students. There is so many resources and facilities available, it is almost impossible to utilize them all. My favorite was always the puppy palooza during finals week to help eliminate stress.

8. Experiencing an unforgettable education.

Coming from a recent graduate of Youngstown State University, I can promise you that your education will be unforgettable and certainly worth it. I have met professors that are still amazing mentors to me even now as I start my career. I have made lifetime friends from different cultures, religions, and countries. I have been more than prepared to enter my field of study and have passed all tests needed after graduation with flying colors. I have even met my soulmate at Youngstown State University.

Don't ever give up on Youngstown State University because it will never give up on you.