What You Didn't Thank Your Mom For Before You Left For College

Things you never realized you needed to thank your mom for until you left home.

175
Carlie Konuch

As young girls, we often are so wrapped up in worrying about boys, friends, and ourselves that we forget to appreciate the woman who made us who we are, our mom. She is the first person you call when you get a parking ticket or can’t find your favorite pair of jeans. But often we forget to call her just to say “hey, thank you for everything” or “I love you so much.” We only tend to call her when things are going wrong or we have something to complain about.

After you move away from home you quickly realize all the things your mom did for you that you never thanked her for. Chances are you couldn’t wait to get out of her house and not have to follow her rules anymore, but you probably did not realize all of the things you were leaving behind under your mom’s roof. Here are a few things you did not even realize you needed to thank your mom for until you moved out.

1. Always making sure you woke up to your alarm and made it to school on time.

Whether you were choosing to ignore your alarm or accidentally overslept, your mom was always there to make sure that you were awake bright and early for school.

2. Making her signature home cooked meals.

Living on your own makes you realize how much you appreciate a nice, warm home cooked meal made in your mom’s kitchen. No amount of fast food or frozen meals could ever fill you up the way a nice home cooked meal can.

3. Helping you out when you get behind on your laundry.

When there is piles of clothes that you can’t tell what is clean and what is dirty, your mom was always there to help sort it all out. Occasionally, she might even fold them and put them away for you if you are lucky.

4. Being a shoulder to cry on in the middle of the night.

Whether it's 5 p.m. or 5 a.m., your mom was always there to comfort you when you were having a rough time. After you move away she can only comfort over the phone rather than giving you one of her priceless mom hugs.

5. Keeping a roof over your head.

You probably never realized how hard it would be to pay rent, get groceries, and still be able to have spending money until you had to do it yourself. While living at home, these concerns probably never even crossed your mind because your mom did everything with a smile on her face.

6. Keeping the fridge, microwave and bath tub clean.

Chances are you never realized how quickly stuff spilled in the fridge, food exploded in the microwave, or grime built up in the tub until you had to take care of it yourself. Your mom always made sure things were spotless in the house and never complained.

7. Taking care of the pets and paying for their supplies.

Often when you move out on your own you have the desire to adopt an animal of your own. The price of pet supplies starts to pile up, the damage to your furniture becomes an issue, and you quickly realize how much effort a pet requires. Your mom raised you and all of your pets simultaneously without missing a beat, and you never realized it until now.

8. Last but not least, just being your mom.

Moving away makes you realize all of the things that your mom did that kept your life flowing smoothly. But all of those things that she did for you growing up isn’t what makes her special, it’s just the fact that she is your mom and no one can ever replace her. Whether you’re curled up with her on the couch watching movies or hours away talking to her on the phone, your mom is the one you can always count on be there for the big moments and the little ones.