8 Things to do When You Miss Your College Friends

Tips from the out-of-state college girl

361
Audrey Bennett

If you’re a college student like me, we’ve been on summer break for just about a month now. All those kids we spent every day with for the past two semesters, even those we may have gotten sick of, are inching their way back into our thoughts and we are really starting to miss them (if we haven’t been missing them since the second we departed). When you go to college three states away from your hometown, and end up falling head over heels for a guy at school that lives thirteen hours away, driving to see those you miss is really just not a reasonable option. Sometimes you might even get a little sad or feel a little lonely. But FEAR NOT! I have eight solutions for you that will make that sense of longing dissipate into thin air.

1. Put your family first.

Being away from your family for four to five months can be pretty tough, and like my padres and siblings, I am sure yours missed you, maybe even more than you missed them. That bedroom you once saturated with personality and flare has been filled once again. Dedicate some time to spend with your family members. Putting those you love first, instead of thinking about what you miss and crave, can really help those selfish feelings inside you to subside. Your family will be so thrilled that you want to hang out with them and you should be too. No one will love you more than your family should. Dinner dates and family outings to trampoline parks are some of the things my family and I enjoy the most.

2. Visit with friends from home.

Like your family, your best friends from growing up have most likely missed you as well. I know I was looking forward to seeing my best friends from home. In fact, I couldn't wait. It was one of the first things I did when I got back from school. Now that all of my gang is back from school and has the weekend off, we are day tripping it to a waterfall park to enjoy a day of stress-free, care-free living. I encourage you to do the same! Grab a cup of coffee from a local cafe, take a few hours to hit the shops, or maybe even just bake some cupcakes together (I mean who doesn’t like cupcakes, come on)! Catch up on what has happened the past year so that you can bond once again over the bare honesty that makes you so close.

3. Find a job.

Finding a job can be a great option if you are too focused on missing your school friends. Turn those lazy days of watching Netflix and eating every meal in bed, into rolling in some cash. If you save up during summer, you can do fun things with your friends when you all reunite in the fall! I, myself, am a complete summer workaholic, balancing four jobs, and having two days off a week for free time. I figure, if I am going to sit at home and do nothing, I might as well go try to earn some money, that way when I wanna do something I will have the resources to do it.

4. Workout.

Try putting your all your focus and all of your energy into working out a couple days a week. Getting your metabolism going and burning some empty calories are great for the body and the mind. It doesn’t have to be a crazy workout, it can even be walking your dog or riding a bike for thirty minutes a couple times a week. If you really enjoy working out, set some goals for the summer such as: lose my freshman fifteen (#freshmanfifty), get a butt to fit my “going out” jeans, or to get stronger mentally by making a commitment to workout every week, no excuses.

5. Enjoy nature.

This world is full of so many beautiful things that God has created. Take some time to see notice them, and enjoy them until you find something else to be mesmerized by. The other night I decided to go for a jog over the bridge the cuts across the island I live on. I got to see the sunset across the water filled with sailboats. What a stunning sight. Unfortunately I died on on my run from being so out of shape, but it was well worth the heart-pumping workout. Maybe go walk through a nature preserve or go fishing on the lake or bayou (shoutout to my Louisiana besties). Enjoy the beautiful living creatures around us. They, and we, will only be around for so much longer, and time waits for no one #goseethenewaliceandwonderland.

6. Take some time for yourself.

Make sure to take some time to do something that you really enjoy, whether it be golfing, painting, or just being alive. I am quite the thrill seeker myself, so I hope to get a few friends to go skydiving with me. I dare you to do something you’ve never done before. Be comfortable in the realm of your enjoyments, but try something new. You could even just hit up a restaurant from a culture or country you’ve never tried before!

7. Facetime/Oovoo those homies you miss.

Try setting up with your GM buddies a night you can all get together for a little Facetime/oovoo sesh so everyone can catch up with each other on how summers going! You will all be so grateful for the time spent chatting and getting caught up with each others lives. Its the next best thing to seeing them in person. Technology has never been so helpful #amiright?

8. ROADTRIP!

Everyone loves a summer road trip. Hit the hills, see some sights and do it with all your best buds from school. Find a common location where everyone can fly to or drive to and then pack it all in a car together and drive. There are tons of music festivals all over the country this summer worth going to. You could even just travel around to al your friends hometowns so that they could show and tell you all about their lives and memories. I can’t wait to reunite with my friends during July and early August. It will be so worth the long wait of summer.

In the end, there are so many things you can do to pass the time and ease your mind when you’re missing your friends. These options have all benefitted me so far in my quest. But really what you have to do is enjoy the life you have and be thankful to be living it. Every hour of every day is a chance to learn or do something new or cherish something old. Don’t waste your precious time. Live your life the fullest every day.

Stay happy my friends

-xo Audrey