5 Struggles Parents With Handicapped Children Face Every Day

"What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise." -Oscar Wilde.

207
Harli Whitney

This article is not to say all parents with special needs children will face these situations in life. Rather to show one side of the spectrum of life struggles for these parents.

Anxiety from Uncertainty of how their child's life will turn out

Parents, in general, will worry about the life their child will have, but being the parent of a special needs child put the extra stress on a parent of "How will their life be affected by this illness?" "Will people look at them differently?" "How will I get the extra care they may need?"

Having to watch your child suffer and not being able to help

This statement does not apply to all special needs parents, but for the ones who children who are either always in and out of the hospital or in constant aching pain from their illness. The pain of watching your child suffer and not being able to do anything about it is a struggle that unfortunately many special needs parents face.

Having to explain to their child not everyone will accept them because of their differences

Having to explain to their child that they are a little different than everyone else and may not be able to do the same things as other kids is hard. Having to explain to a child that there are people in the world who will not accept them or that may say hurtful or mean things just because they may look different or do things a different way than others is even harder.

Trying to give your child a normal childhood

Many times parents of children with special needs will feel their child does not have a normal childhood or that their illness robbed them of having one when they were younger. Yet those same parents will do everything in their power to make sure that their child never has that same thought about themselves.

Feeling alone in the battle of having a child with a disability

Some parents with children who have a disability will feel like they are alone in the fight of trying to give their child the love and care that they deserve on top of dealing the struggles that come with the disability but they are not. No matter the situation the family is in they have a whole community of others going through similar situations that are ready to back them up and help them out in any way that they possibly can.