8 Things Left-Handers Struggle With That You've Probably Never Thought About

Take it from me, I'm left-handed!

337
HUFFPOST

Things all left-handed people can relate to:

1. Three Ring Binders Will Be The Death of Me!

Do you know how hard it is to write when you have three prominent rings bearing on the side of your hand? It is not fun. No matter how hard you try, it is practically impossible for a left-hander to write inside one of these things. Your arm will twist up in an awkward way so that your elbow is suddenly facing the ceiling at a 45-degree angle and your wrist becomes a contortionist. The positioning of your arm is so uncomfortable and the hand-writing just goes down the drain that us lefties have no choice but to take the paper out of the binder just so we can write comfortably!

2. Smudges, Smears, and Streaks

It's like even pens are out to get us! Picture this: You've just finished writing a beautiful essay that you put your heart and soul into, only to find that upon looking back at it, you can barely read it! Take a look at the side of your hand and there it is, all your hard work smeared down the side of your pinky and onto your wrist. Now, not only do you have to wash your hand, but you have to graciously explain to your teacher why your work is a mess. Welcome to the life of a lefty.

3. Left-Handers Need Desks Too

There's nothing worse than being a lefty, walking into a classroom, and seeing rows upon rows of right-handed desks. Like most things are for lefties, right-handed desks are uncomfortable. They are back-breaking, hand-straining, lefty-hating, desks from hell. When there are lefty-desks, there may be only one or two which is usually not enough. Most of the time, I use my lap to write on instead of the actual desk. *Sigh*

4. Writing from Left To Right Is Just Not natural!

When I was in kindergarten, I would write my name backward. Not kidding! My teachers actually had to teach me how to write from left to right. Reason being, it felt natural for my hand to move freely across the paper starting on the right-hand side. It is the same way right-handers naturally gravitate towards the left-hand side when beginning their writing. Writing from left to right is well... I've said it once, and I'll say it again, UNCOMFORTABLE.

5. The Corner of The Dinner Table is My Designated Spot

Whenever sitting at the table with family or a group friends, I always have to sit at the very end because, if not, I will have a very intense elbow war with the person sitting to my left-side. Yes, it is just as annoying for me as it is for them. Ever tried to cut a steak with her arms glued to your sides? It's not easy. However, sitting at the end of a table is not always easy either. I am either stuck by the nasty garbage can or missing out on all the good conversations. Ahhh, the prices we must pay for knocking your elbow a few times.

6. The Right-Side Desk in Class is Also My Designated Spot

I cannot express enough how frustrating it was to constantly bump elbows with the kid who sat next to me in elementary school. It was especially frustrating for both of us when a tap on the elbow sent your pencil/pen flying across the paper making a nice, unintentional line. Granted, I'd usually solve the problem by asking to switch desks, but it was always nerve-wracking being that one kid in class who raised their hand and quietly said, "Ummm...can I switch desks? I'm a lefty."

7. No One Can Teach Me Anything!

It is particularly difficult when a righty tries to teach you something new, but you only feel comfortable doing it left-handed. Take playing the guitar, for example. No matter how hard I tried to learn, I just couldn't mirror the teacher's finger placement on my left-hand. It is especially awkward when they are about to teach you something but realize that you are a lefty. That's when they give you the dreaded, "Ohhh...you're a lefty. I don't know how to teach that."

8. “Wow, Are You A Lefty?”

I could never understand why people see me writing with my left-hand and still bother to ask the question, "Are you a lefty?" Of course I am! Why else would I be writing with my left-hand? I don't do it for fun. Sorry if it seems like I'm coming off a bit rude, but after the 100th time you've heard that question, it gets annoying. Stop asking!