8 Things To Consider If You Are Moving Into Your First Off-Campus Apartment

You may be overwhelmed with your first apartment.

15

I just moved into my first off-campus apartment this week. I’m looking forward to spending two semesters living with two really awesome people and feeling like I’m finally taking the first real steps into adulthood.

This is about the time of year where students start flocking to their college towns and getting reading for another school year. The process of moving in can be somewhat taxing and definitely overwhelming. To say I was disorganized this week is a complete understatement.

Don’t be like me and consider some of these things to help better prepare yourself for living off campus for the first time!

1. Coffee mugs

I’m living with two other college students, who are decidedly smart people and love coffee almost as much as I do, so naturally everyone brought their twelve favorite coffee mugs. Now we have one whole cabinet in our small kitchen devoted to mainly coffee mugs. This takes up a lot of space we don’t have. The lesson: don’t be redundant with your coffee mugs, no matter how much you love them.

2. Thrift shop

If you’re lucky enough to go to college in a town that has as many thrift shops as Potsdam then maybe you already know it is much smarter to hit those stops before trekking to Wal-Mart. I almost bought a $40 desk at Wal-Mart, but luckily I had a voice of reason (thanks Sherrad!) and I decided to wait. And guess what? I found a beautiful wooden desk for $10 with a free chair! It’s also good to support the locals.

3. Money-conscious

I think most college students are hurting in the bank and have no way not to be money-conscious (except maybe when it comes to beer), but there are some decision you can make for your new apartment that may help with the stress. In my case, I was able to negotiate a cheaper rent with my landlord. I felt really proud of myself and strangely enough, my landlord was really impressed. My flat-mates and I decided we weren’t going to pay for cable, which will save us some money. If you’re paying for electricity, it goes without saying to be conscious of how often you leave the lights on. We also got creative with objects we didn’t need and re-purposed them, so now we have a bench in our bathroom for which we didn’t have to spend any money. Leave your blinds closed during the day to keep the apartment cool, especially if you don’t have air conditioning like us. There are cheap, easy ways to decorate your apartment too.

4. Smart-shopper

One thing I learned the hard way is that you can’t just buy things because you think they are cool or pretty. Be smart when you shop. If you pick something up because it caught your eye but you can’t immediately think of a useful or practical reason to have it or a place where it will fit then don’t buy it. You don’t need the George Washington plate, or the old chest. You definitely don’t need the disco ball or the pretty bird figurines.

5. Cleaning supplies

I don’t care if your apartment is brand-spanking new. Clean that sucker up. Products with bleach will get rid of more germs. Always keep sanitary wipes on hand, as well as all-purpose sprays. Shower spray will be super helpful with soap scum and bacteria. You will definitely want a vacuum and a mop, so make sure someone brings those. There is also a good chance some of the things you bring to your apartment have been in storage for some time, perhaps giving them a good wipe down or dusting session would be wise before using them.

6. Safety

When you first move in, make sure all of your fire alarms have batteries (mine didn’t) and are properly installed. Also make for you have a carbon monoxide alarm. If you don’t have a fire extinguisher, let your landlord know. Make sure all the door locks are efficient and in working order. Check for window locks and screens. Before walking around barefoot check for broken glass (we have some on our kitchen floor). Keep a few candles on the off chance the electricity goes out so you have some sort of light source.

7. Landlord relationship

Having a good relationship with your landlord can be beneficial and wise. If something is amiss in your apartment, let your landlord know! You’re paying good money for your apartment, don’t live with the broken toilet paper dispenser or the dead smoke alarm. Be respectful to your landlord. Naturally they will be more inclined to help you sooner if they feel you are being mature and respectful. This goes for all people too, not just your landlord.

8. Flat-mate communication

Lastly, and most importantly, honesty and communication IS KEY to a healthy living environment. It’s great to have fun in college, have a few peeps over for drinks, but make sure your flat-mates are chill with it. It’s their sanctuary too, so make sure they feel comfortable. Sex is probably going to happen under your roof whether it’s you or one of your flat-mates. Have a code word or be openly honest about, nobody wants to walk in their friends having sex. If you have something to say because your flat-mate is driving you up the wall, say something. Be nice and honest about it. Use “I feel…” statements and leave room for discussion and growth. Communication is SO important. Like, I can’t stress it enough. It will be the main deciding factor in having a spectacular year versus a disastrous year.

So that is my list. It will most definitely change and grow longer as time passes, but each person’s journey is different. Just remember to relax, college is a growing experience and it isn’t going to be hearts and rainbows. Your first apartment is an unforgettable experience that you’ll probably reference for many years to come. Just don’t run a home bar, name it Puzzles and ban last call.