8 Things Communications Majors Can Relate To

Communications is not an easy major.

34
blog.tun.com

Too many times when being asked what my major is, friends and family have a confused look on their face and ask me what communications actually is. I have been a communications major for three years and couldn’t be happier with my decision. I love being a communications major and I think my fellow comm majors will agree with me.

1. Always being asked what communications is.

This usually happens when friends and family ask you what you are majoring in and you tell them communications. Communications majors always have to explain ourselves.

2. Being the editor of all your friends papers.

All your friends know you are a communications major, so that means looking at and editing every paper your friends write.

3. "Communications is so easy."

I get this comment more often than anything else. Being a communications major is not as easy as everyone claims it to be. Sure, we don’t have hours of accounting homework, but we do have about three to four papers to write a week. Writing papers can get a bit redundant, but we’re communications majors and that’s our specialty.

4. Communications is so broad, but in the best way.

Many people tell me that this major is broad and ask how I am going to narrow down what I want to do when I graduate. That is one of the reasons why I picked this major. Communications majors are well-rounded in their education and have all the skills they need to be successful.

5. All projects are group projects.

Every class project is a group project, because we are communications majors and communicating and working with many different types of people is what we’re studying, so that seems appropriate.

6. You learn to love writing.

You are going to have to considering that is the majority of what being a communications major entails.

7. Not all communications classes are about giving speeches.

Yes, there are a lot of classes that require you to give a speech, but when people think of communications, they think it is all about public speaking.

8. You learn to be more outgoing

When I first declared my major, I noticed, for the most part, that everyone in communications was very outgoing and friendly. I am very introverted, unless I know a person well enough, but being a communications major has helped me become less introverted and become more myself.