8 Taco Recipes That Go Beyond Tortillas And Salsa

8 Taco Recipes That Go Way Beyond The Basic Tortillas And Salsa

You can make tacos out of sushi, ice cream and everything in between, you just have to get creative.

There's no denying tacos are awesome. That's probably why an entire day of the week is dedicated to them. If you're looking for a new way to spice up your Tuesday night, or you just want to try a new twist on an old recipe, you are definitely in the right place.

1. The Bacon Weave Taco

It's a scientific fact that bacon makes everything better. If you're looking for a way to amp up your tacos, what better way than with a bacon-weave shell?

Don't worry, making the shells is super easy and only takes minutes. Once baked, they will hold shape and are ready to be filled to the brim. Stuffed with eggs, chives, cheese, avocado and a touch of salsa, these bacon tacos are sure to satisfy your cravings for everything savory.

2. The Sushi Taco

If you love sushi, why not try it in taco form? These sushi tacos are super easy to make and can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes. The recipe recommends using salmon and tuna but you can always swap them out for your personal favorites.

You'll need a few specialty ingredients, like nori seaweed, which is fried into a shell and sriracha sauce for the spicy mayonnaise. You'll also need sushi rice, which is cooked in a mixture of rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt. The result is a delicious dish you'll want to recreate again and again.

3. The Greek Taco

Yes, it's a gyro, but it's also a taco. If you want a taste of the Mediterranian but can't afford a flight, bring Greece to you with these delicious Greek tacos with lamb and tzatziki sauce.

The sauce, a combination of plain yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and grated cucumber, is simple to put together and can be premade. Once the lamb is cooked, you can assemble your tacos with toppings like spinach, tomatoes and avocado. Don't forget that tzatziki, though, it's literally the best.

4. The Sweet Potato Taco

If you're looking for a tasty new vegetarian recipe or just don't feel like a trip to the grocery store, consider trying these sweet potato and black bean tacos.

The "meat" of these tacos is a mixture of sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, corn and black beans. To get the flavors mingling, honey, lime and spices like cumin and paprika are then tossed in. Once the potatoes are soft, serve the mixture warm over heated corn tortillas.

5. The Cheese Lover’s Taco

Do you call yourself a cheese connoisseur? Are you always looking for the best pairings? If you can't get enough of the orange stuff, then check out these tacos with shells made entirely from cheese.

The shells are simple to make, best done by laying a pile of shredded cheese on a silicone mat and baking for five to seven minutes. Then, the cheese is hung to dry, forming a taco shell shape. Afterwards, you can fill it with your favorite toppings, like ground beef, avocado, sour cream and salsa.

6. The Lettuce Wrap Taco

Choosing between delicious tacos and a swimsuit-ready body can be hard. That's why many of us are looking for ways to cut calories without having to give up our favorite foods. Now, with lettuce wrap tacos, you can enjoy a tasty treat without feeling guilty afterward.

Once you have your romaine lettuce shells, fill the insides with chicken breast cooked with garlic and taco seasoning. Then, top it off with sour cream or Greek yogurt, jalapenos and avocado. You can also substitute your own toppings, like diced tomatoes and feta cheese.

7. The Curry Taco

If you're looking for a taco that can pack a punch, consider trying out these coconut curry chicken tacos. While you'll need the classic grilled corn tortilla to get started, the rest of the recipe is unique.

The chicken curry filling is made with coconut milk, red curry paste and chicken breast. Once cooked, it's topped with Granny Smith apple salsa and mango sauce, which is a combination of mangos, jalapeno chiles and curry paste.

8. The Ice Cream Taco

Tacos aren't limited to the main course. With the right ingredients, like flour tortillas, sugar, chocolate chips and more, they're also a great way to enjoy dessert.

This ice cream taco starts with a regular flour tortilla, fried with butter in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Once cooked, you dip the edges of the shell in melted chocolate and allow it to harden. Afterward, fill with your favorite ice cream flavor and cover with toppings like sprinkles and whipped cream.