Stop Stress Eating And Pick Up These 6 Fuel Foods

Stop Stress Eating And Pick Up These 6 Fuel Foods To Help You Survive Finals

As great as it would be to eat that 12-pack of cookies, they lack the required nutrients for healthy brain function.

666

If you're looking to pass your exams, you're going to have to ditch the cookies. Your brain requires a variety of nutrients working in sync with each other to function properly. Here are my top six go-to foods to eat during the upcoming finals week.

1. Fatty Fish: Omega-3 

Photo by Caroline Attwood on Unsplash

Sitting at the top of the list is fatty fish. While salmon may not be a tasty snack, it's my pick when having a meal to benefit my brain's development. Shrimp, mackerel, trout, herring, etc. all carry similar benefits as well. The omega acids in these fish can help improve cognitive function and create a neurological environment suited best for acing exams.

2. Coffee or Fruits: Antioxidants

Photo by Megan Savoie on Unsplash

Coffee and fruits are both rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help to fight the aging of your brain. You can find antioxidants in many foods, such as strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. However, coffee contains just as many antioxidants, if not more than these foods, according to healthline.com. Also, coffee helps give you the energy for proper brain function. Eat these foods to help protect your brain from memory loss, because you don't want to lose all of the cramming you just did.

3. Avocados and Mangoes: Vitamins B-6 and C

Photo by David Di Veroli on Unsplash

Avocados and Mangoes contain two nutrients necessary for healthy brain function, vitamins B-6 and C. B-6 is crucial when it comes to brain function and development, according to everydayhealth.com. Luckily for us, getting the necessary amount of B-6 isn't difficult. Meat, vegetables, and even cereal all contain B-6. Avocados and mangoes also give us Vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential to brain function because of its role in the production of thought-related hormones according to psychologytoday.com. Avocado toast with a mango smoothie on the side sounds much better to me than a box of cookies.

4. Nuts and Seeds: Vitamin E and Omega-3 fats

Photo by Vitchakorn Koonyosying on Unsplash

Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, and peanuts all offer beneficial nutrients such as Omega-3 fats and vitamin E. However, walnuts are the best nut for brain health, according to brainhq.com. Vitamin E helps protect the brain and fight the aging of the brain.

5. Eggs: Choline

Photo by: Pixabay

Eggs contain a macro-nutrient called Choline. Choline helps support regular brain function and development, according to WebMD. Starting your day with at least two eggs, whether they're fried, boiled, or scrambled can lead to improvement in normal cognitive function.

6. Whole Grains

Photo by Food Photographer | Jennifer Pallian on Unsplash

By consuming oats and whole grains, you allow your body to gain and store energy for use later. Sugary foods lead to a small burst of energy that doesn't benefit you in the long run. Oatmeal, cereal, whole-grain breads, and pancakes all contain whole grains and are a great way to begin your day. All of the aforementioned foods are useless without the energy to function.