8 Superfoods You Should Incorporate Into Your Diet

There are more than just avocados

70

Everyone knows avocado to be a superfood. You know, those foods essentially meant to improve your health because of its high nutrient content? Whether its spread on toast or being dipped by chips, this delicious food is filled with nutrients applicable to any meal during the day. I mean, let's be real, how can anyone not like avocado? Although this takes the crown as the current most popular superfood, these are a few others you should start to include in your diet.

1. Avocado

If I open up by stating how great this fruit is, I should at least explain why, right? For starters, they are high in fiber, potassium, vitamin E and magnesium. Its high percentage of monounsaturated oil has been proven to help lower cholesterol. Additionally, they have the ability to help facilitate weight loss and lower the chance of prostate cancer. With one of the highest ounce per nutrient ratio, it is no wonder avocados are one of the most popular superfoods.

2. Oranges

Also high in fiber, more importantly, oranges are high in Vitamin C. Not only do they help produce white blood cells and antibodies to build up your immune system, but they also keep you skin healthy.

3. Sweet Potatoes

That's right. I said potatoes. No, I am not justifying the large side of fries you just ordered with your meal, but I am informing you that you can enjoy potatoes without feeling guilty for doing so. Known as one of the most nutritious vegetables, these are packed with plenty of Vitamin A, C, and B6. The combination helps keep your eyes, bones, and immune system healthy.

4. Tea

A cup of tea a day can help lower your risk of diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s, build stronger bones, and keep your teeth and gums healthy. This rich antioxidant filled drink, also containing caffeine, may be the perfect swap for your morning cup of coffee.

5. Spinach

Packed with Vitamins A, C, E, and K, in addition to fiber, iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium, this vegetable helps your body to continue to make new healthy cells.

6. Eggs

While the rumor often is don't eat eggs if you're trying to keep your cholesterol down, I say just eat some with avocado for breakfast and the worry is removed. High in protein and filled with antioxidants, this superfood helps keeps your eyes healthy, may protect your skin against UV damage, and is the perfect breakfast food to keep you full and provide you with the energy needed for your day.

7. Berries

As you may have noticed by now, many of these superfoods are high in fiber, and berries are no different. Fiber is important for a healthy digestive system with the possibility of assisting in weight loss. Filled with antioxidants and vitamins to keep your skin healthy, memory sharp, and may have cancer fighting properties, these are an easy snack to incorporate into your day.

8. Beans

An excellent source of iron, this vegetable is also high in fiber and perfect to pair with other superfoods from this list. By combining beans and sweet potatoes, your body will absorb a higher percentage of the iron and the fiber will help keep your blood and cholesterol levels low.