8 Songs to Vibe Out to This Summer

8 Songs to Vibe Out to This Summer

Songs you will want to play all summer long, and maybe even longer than that.

118
8 Songs to Vibe Out to This Summer
fazerdaze.bandcamp

With Summer just around the corner, and the kiddies done with school (for the most part), you are in need some chilled-out vibes for that extra sugar in your coffee and that ice cube in your late-night beverage. Songs that just exuberate that summer breeze and take you away to a pleasant paradise. These songs have already got me feeling the joys of summer, and I know they will get you feeling the same way.

1. “Lucky Girl” – Fazerdaze

If you are not too familiar with the dream pop or new-wave-vibe scene, and are looking to jump in, there is no better way to start than with Fazerdaze. Probably the most popular group of this genre and this list, Fazerdaze is also one of the best. Honestly, I could have made this list solely consisting of Fazerdaze songs, but that would not be fun, so instead I included their biggest, and I think, their best song. An innocent song about the recognition of love, and how lucky some are to be in a good romantic relationship with someone. It has the typical but perfected spacious vibe that is synonymous with this kind of music, with an incredibly addictive guitar riff that can put a smile on your face and can take you away to your happy place.

2. “Plants” – Crumb

This is a more low-key vibey song, to listen to at the end of the day to unwind and watch the sunset. It is both calming and soothing, while having just enough jive to tap your foot along with the beat. It really is a beautiful song with a trippy synth towards the end to make the orange sky look just a little cooler.

3. “Warned You” – Good Morning

This is just a flat out cool song. Every time I listen to it, I am reminded of the Beatles song, “Don’t Let Me Down,” as the inflection of his voice in the bridge is comparable to John Lennon’s in the song. It is a short song, running only two minutes and thirteen seconds, but it's a slow jam to put on to calm the nerves on a humid summer day.

4. “I’m Fine” – Hazel English

While most songs of this genre focus on catchy and colorful guitar riffs, “I’m Fine” put the emphasis on the synth, giving the song a more mystical effect. While the guitar riffs in the song are still groovy, the synth allows the song to be a little more emotional with a deeper spacious feel. Not the spacious vibe of being weightless, but more of a slow fall that brings you back to a more introspective sense.

5. “Taken” – Tiny Fireflies

Like most of the songs on this list, I discovered “Taken” on the YouTube channel, Thelazylazyme, when it held only a couple thousand views, and even today the song only garnered 11,087 views on the channel. To me, that is ridiculous because it is one of the best songs I have ever listened to. It is a spacious adventure of the mysteries of love, attraction and the dual perspectives of love. It has a melancholy feel to it due to the use of the synth, but it is more cathartic than sad. And it is also the perfect song to put on during a late-night drive for some feels, or the calm that coincides with the waviness of the melody.

6. “Peach Pit” – Peach Pit

Another popular song from this collection, “Peach Pit,” is a song you’ll want to throw on when you are trying to beat the heat, as you hold that cold glass in your hand. It is akin to “Warned You,” in that it is a slow tune that can make the endeavors of the day more controllable and calming. The song talks about the rotting of the peach, and I see it as an allegory to a tough day rotting away, so what better way to cure to the rotten day with a tasty tune about decaying fruit?

7. "Big Blue" – Dayflower

More of the “Lucky Girl” vain, “Big Blue” is a faster paced song with a soft voice that meshes perfectly with the crashing sound of the instruments in the background. It has that vibe of being on a beach on a perfect sunny day where the worries and cares of the world fall swiftly off your shoulders. Also, I get the feeling this song would be perfect in a commercial advertising a collection of summer clothes or a sleek television show about young adults leading interesting and crazy lives. One of the two.

8. "Inversions" – Sports Coach

This song is truly quite unique. It has an almost gothic instrumental with a deep but soft voice that makes you feel as if you are in some sort of acid trip, but a hella sweet acid trip. It is reminiscent of a song that could be found in an indie film when the protagonist goes on an adventure with the weird cool kids you wish you were friends with growing up in high school, and he or she finds a sense of belonging for the first time in his or her life. It is a mixed bag of emotions, which makes sense because the song sounds like a mixed bag of melodies but that just makes the song that much more appealing.