8 Signs Your Dad Might Be A Baby Boomer

8 Signs Your Dad Might Be A Baby Boomer

He was hipster before hipster was a thing... and may ask you what a hipster is.

1342
8 Signs Your Dad Might Be A Baby Boomer
Udaykamar236

Not all my friends have parents that fall within the baby boomer category.

However, some of my friends do, and there are some things that just those with baby boomers as parents can relate to. Not all of these will apply, but below are a couple signs, other than just the year of their birth or how often they talk about senior discounts or retirement, that your dad might be a baby boomer.

1. He's super into classic rock.

While the phrase "classic rock" may seem to some like something "old" or "boring," or maybe what Elvis technically was considered, I'm talking about those awesome, legendary groups like AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Nirvana, or if he's super classy or cultured like my dad, his favorites may include bands like Kansas or Rush. Therefore, you likely inherit a pretty good taste in music if I do say so myself.

2. He insists he has a right to wear a fanny pack (or other alternative styles).

Of course you're grateful that you're on vacation, but you're kind of starting to second guess when he's dressed to the nines in jorts, a touristy t-shirt, fanny pack, everything. You give him a hard time, but let's be honest, you wouldn't want to ruin his fun or have it any other way.

3. His relationship with technology is an oxymoron.

He's seen the majority of the tech revolution that we've experienced within the past several decades, and his career may be based on, or at the least significantly influenced by, the use of technology and computers. It is interesting, though, how a man can know so much about technology and electronics (how to build a computer from scratch, or coding, circuitry) but still struggle with an iPhone. He doesn't fear the internet like older generations, but he does still use AOL and refuses to change. He has a Facebook, but is still learning how to do certain actions and contemplates the social implications of "likes" and "comments." Did I mention we still have a VCR…?

4. He follows some trends on accident.

He took part in the recent aviators trend when that was a thing, simply because he never stopped wearing them. Another example, my dad is basically an unintentional foodie. He picks something new and interesting up at the supermarket, often right around the time the food ends up trending. He didn't first pick up quinoa because it was the "new grain" to replace white pasta in all kinds of dishes - he just thought it looked interesting. Long story short, your dad may be a baby boomer if the trends and habits he never let go of come back around as "vintage."

Actual footage of my dad being a foodie. About ¾ of this came from his garden. #locallygrown

5. And… he follows some trends a little after the fact.

He tells everyone how the camera on an older iPhone model is pretty remarkable, while most of his friends ditched their flip phones a decade ago and are on at least an iPhone 6. Close enough.

6. He gives a hoot about politics and patriotism.

People our age care about politics too, but he has a few more years experience than perhaps other dads of those your age, and has been through several presidencies, as well as the introduction of political media outlets before they began to really skew towards their respective sides. He remembers several of the wars we've been in, politicians that have said one thing and now say the other, has seen what works and what doesn't, and is interested in more than what simply sounds or makes you feel good. He thinks critically about things (and was not part of the hippie movement, so does not have drug-induced reduced capability to do so). He cares about the integrity of the country and the good values that our ancestors moved here for or were born into. He wants to help ensure a good quality of life for the future.

7. Space is a big deal.

Outer space and the space program is a big deal for everyone in our city, because we're the rocket city, but baby boomers especially seem to connect to the concept of space because the moon landing was part of their childhood. They saw the subsequent launches, and a new type of frontier genre was introduced - science fiction involving space - think Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Space Cowboys, Alien, 2001: A Space Odyssey, even up until today, the lists go on and on. I guess there's a warranted excitement to space being called "the final frontier."

8. The values of the era he grew up in helped shape him into an incredible man and father.

He's both rational and loving. He knows what it takes to raise a kid, and sees clearly beyond immediate feelings for what is truly best. He was raised in a time when people had respect for God and their country, and while doing things the way things have historically been done is not automaticallygood, it doesn't automatically mean it is wrong either. He shares his experiences so I don't make the same mistakes, and helped lead me to faith in God. He shares his feelings (sometimes), has done and continues to do all in his power to give me and prepare me for a life I don't deserve.

My dad doesn't like sappy things or overuse of the word "privilege," but I'm going to violate both of those preferences right now because I am privileged - because of all he and my mom have done for me. If your dad is half as cool is mine, he might be a baby boomer.