8 Security Tips to Secure Your Dormitory Locks

As a preventive measure, I've jotted down the eight different ways to secure your dormitory locks.

26

College life seems like freedom - pulling an all-nighter, binge-watching on Netflix, and no-permission-required kind of fun. But, this freedom comes with significant responsibilities too! Unlike living with your parents, you're not off the hook from leaving the main door wide open while partying with friends in your room. Having plenty of people trafficking inside a dormitory and sharing a room with others have security threats that don't come as a surprise.

So, protecting yourself from theft is one of the most fundamental lessons college life will teach you. And if someone breaks into your dorm, you can always call in a locksmith to change locks after the local police are done investigating.

1.Always Keep the Doors Locked

As tiring as it may sound, because you'll have to open the door even at the slightest hint of someone knocking it, trust me, it's the primary practice you should observe when you start living in a dorm.

I understand that repeatedly opening it can distract your attention from the very task at hand. Besides, locking and unlocking it every time you go out seems laborious. But without having it locked, you're at potential risk of being robbed of your belongings.

2. Security Cameras

Sharing your dorm with others will have multitudes of people coming over. You can monitor that traffic by investing in a cost-effective security camera that can be operated with your smartphone through a stable internet connection. You can enjoy the perks of watching your dorm over even from distant places.

It's good to check your campus privacy policies beforehand to verify what kinds of security equipment is allowed to install therein.

3. Keep Your Windows / Doors Secure with an Alarm

It applies primarily to people residing on the first floor, as it the most obvious target for burglars - they can make off easily. The higher you go, the lesser this risk is.

Moreover, windows are an easy target to break into a place as their screens can be cut effortlessly or removed altogether. Thus, installing affordable dorm room security devices: window and door alarms will ward off trespassers and notify you in time even when you're not paying attention (being dozed off).

4. Censor Your Social Media Check-in

Yes, it feels good to schedule an upcoming meetup with your friends on public threads over Facebook or Instagram, but the risk of theft tags along. The best bet is to schedule a meeting over a direct message. Posting your address on social media for whichever reason can turn out to be a nightmare, as people will start eyeing your dorm.

You don't want opportunistic burglars to know that your dorm can be a fancy place for them to rob, do you?

5. Be Selective in Choice of People to Bring Over

You must invite those people over whom you are well-acquainted with. That way, you can be carefree with your possessions as they won't steal any. If you've got to invite strangers over, such as your teammates from a class project or sports team, you should stay vigilant like an eagle-eyed person.

6.Be Even More Selective Who You Give Your Keys to

Would you like to lose your dorm keys for a stranger to feast on your money? I'm sure you won't. Nobody will.

Lending your keys to your acquaintances who haven't earned your trust yet will turn out to be the same. So, before giving your dorm keys to someone, rest assured they are trustworthy. This will help add to the security of your dormitory.

7.Make Friends with People around You

When you are friends with people living around, they will inform you if they witness a suspicious person lingering around your room or apartment. This is one of the reasons why being social with people is crucial. You can always return them this favor, too!

8.Save a Locksmith's contact information in Your Phonebook

I know that you will contact a locksmith in any case of emergency. Whether you lose your keys or your key fails to open your home door, you will require a locksmithing specialist to come to your aid and assist you with opening your door lock. It's why you should always keep a professional Locksmith's number ready on the speed dial.

If you live on campus in Brooklyn, it's advisable to get a hold on a locksmith in Brooklyn. Finding a locksmith in the Bronx will also suit you if your residence is a half-an-hour drive away.