8 Reasons Why Funding The Arts Is Important

If we have no arts, then what are we fighting for?

3716
Personal

People don't realize how much of our lives revolve around the arts. So much of what we use wouldn't exist if we didn't have arts programs. Companies wouldn't have logos to boost their image, you wouldn't be able to get your senior pictures done, Snapchat wouldn't have filters to make you look like a slice of bread, and you wouldn't be able to watch the latest episode of "13 Reasons Why" because they all wouldn't exist.

1. Students involved in the arts have heightened academic performance.

It has been proven that students with an education rich in the arts have higher GPAs than students who do not have an arts education. Arts students also have higher standardized test scores and lower drop-out rates. Schools that have integrated the arts into the curriculum are documenting positive changes in the school environment and improved student performance. Does any school really want to set their students up to fail?

2. The arts drive tourism and support local merchants.

When students or ensembles participate in festivals and competitions, they end up traveling out of their school district and sometimes even state. These events may take place across the country, allowing for students, parents, and directors to explore the surrounding area and the areas en route to the event. People attending these events will often provide support to local businesses before and after the concerts (i.e. restaurants, hotels).

3. The arts are responsible for basically everything you love.

Your favorite TV shows and movies wouldn't even exist without the arts. The first dates you've had at a movie theater wouldn't have happened. All of the radio stations that you jam out in the car to would just be talk shows and really bad comedians and the occasional church service. A lot of people wouldn't want to own a TV just to watch the news every day. You wouldn't be able to have the latest shoes because they wouldn't exist. You wouldn't even have a chair to sit on.

4. Some of the best friends arts kids will ever make are from their craft.

When you devote a large portion of your time to a certain activity, you tend to spend most of your time with the other people involved. The closest friends you can make will be from these activities. Sure, these artists can make their friends in the science lab or in the classroom, but in settings like band, chorus, or theater, the students must work as a team towards a common goal which brings them closer.

5. The arts are not just a hobby, they are a career.

A common misconception of the arts is that people only do these activities for a hobby or recreational activity. There is a large group of college students who are currently seeking a degree in music education. These students have pursued their love for music past secondary education and want to teach about music for the rest of their life. Their love for music started in their primary and secondary education and they want to continue to instill that love into future generations. By dropping the arts in secondary and primary schools, you are also making someone's college degree worthless.

6. Healthcare institutions use art in their programs.

Almost 50% of the nation's healthcare institutions provide arts programming for patients, families, and staff. There are multiple health benefits of the arts to their patients such as shorter hospital stays and less medication due to pain management.

7. Children will be too preoccupied to participate in risky behaviors.

Programs that are offered after school hours give students a way to keep busy and stay productive. These programs allow students to put their energy into a productive setting instead of risking their lives in illegal and risky activities.

8. The arts provide a family setting for those involved.

People involved in the arts will typically call their fellow band members, chorus members, artists, and photographers family. Everyone within the groups will tell you that they felt like they had a supportive group behind them to push them to be the best version of themselves they could be. The groups accept each other and provide an accepting environment for kids and adults alike.