8 Reasons To See "The Hateful Eight"

8 Reasons To See "The Hateful Eight"

Why Tarantino's latest movie will be the best.

29
8 Reasons To See "The Hateful Eight"
Barstool Sports

1. Quentin Tarantino is out for revenge.

The script was leaked in January 2014 by one of a handful of people who had access to it, and Tarantino didn’t take it lightly. He actually cancelled the movie and decided to publish the script as a novel, until he directed a live reading of the leaked script in Hollywood. That’s when he realized how badass this movie is, and decided to give it another green light.

2. The cast is incredible.

Samuel L. Jackson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Kurt Russell, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, and Bruce Dern are all very well-established actors, but in the world of Tarantino, they’re something else. Most of these actors have frequently collaborated with Tarantino before, and it’s because he’s able to bring out their best. Leigh usually plays hookers and/or junkies, but she’s the best at bringing out the necessary emotions. Jackson is usually Tarantino’s go-to psycho, but damn does he play it well. This entire cast is incredibly Tarantino, and it should do well during awards season.

3. It’s another western, but it isn’t Django.

Tarantino took a stab at directing a western with the 2012 megahit Django Unchained. It was nominated for five Academy Awards, winning two. The Hateful Eight is not a sequel to Django, which is even more exciting. Tarantino doesn’t do a project he doesn’t think he can crush, so Hateful Eight is bound to be unreal.

4. The plot is fascinating.

Set in post-Civil War Wyoming, John “The Hangman” Ruth (played by Kurt Russell) is taking the wanted murderer Daisy Domergue to Red Rock where she will face trial. They run into another bounty hunter, Major Marquis “The Bounty Hunter" Warren (Samuel L. Jackson), and a blizzard forces them all into the same stagecoach pass over, where they encounter four more strangers and realize they might not make it to Red Rock.

5. The score will be fantastic.

Tarantino got five-time Academy Award nominee and three-time Grammy winner Ennio Morricone to score The Hateful Eight, his first Western in 40 years. Morricone’s music had previously been featured in Django Unchained, Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, and Death Proof. Morricone has also scored The Untouchables, Cinema Paradiso, and Exorcist II: The Heretic.

6. The cinematography will be amazing.

Robert Richardson will serve as director of photography, having previously served in the same role for Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, and Django Unchained. He’s one three Academy Awards for Best Cinematography, one of only two living people to have achieved such a feat. His shot selection and lighting abilities are always on point, and there's no reason to think The Hateful Eight won’t be another clinic in cinematography.

7. The film was shot using in 70mm, so the quality will be beyond perfect.

Tarantino used an Ultra Panavision 70mm film camera to shoot the film, utilizing 70mm stock. 70mm is incredibly rare nowadays, but to put it simply, the picture will be unbelievable. 1080p, which most HD TVs use, is 1920 x 1080 pixels, and 4K (which a large number of modern movies use) is 3840 x 2160. Think about how clear most of the movies you see are… 70mm is closer to 18K.

8. Tarantino is one of the best directors ever, so this movie will be amazing no matter what.

Tarantino is one of the most gifted directors of our generation, and almost all of his movies have been tremendous. With all the drive he has with this movie, there’s no reason to think it will do anything but stun.