8 Reasons To Call Your Mom Every Day

8 Reasons To Call Your Mom Every Day

Just do it.

53
8 Reasons To Call Your Mom Every Day
favim.com

If you are anything like me, you thought college was going to be full of fun, freedom, and Netflix. College is definitely filled with all of these things, but I failed to picture the difficulties that everyday college life would bring. The idea we have in our head of college life is based around the images we see on television and in the media. College is depicted as this crazy time in our lives where we have a free pass to be idiots and do whatever want. We are rarely ever shown the hard work and dedication that college requires. It only took a short time for me to realize college isn’t a do-it-yourself experience. A daily phone call, or four, to my mom quickly became a part of my normal routine, and for good reason.

1. No one is a better listener

Moms ask a lot of questions, but they are also great listeners. There are not many people who will listen to your random word vomit and actually care what you have to say. My mom is there to listen when I have good news or bad news. She listens when I need advice or when I just want to talk about something random. She’s also a great person to vent to. Moms don’t judge and they usually have pretty good advice.

College is filled with lots of decisions. Sometimes, you just need someone to hear out your thoughts. Moms also have a way of calming you down. It’s nice to hear a familiar voice every day and converse with someone who wants to hear anything and everything you have to say.

2. She knows you better than anyone

I'm confident that my mom knows me better than anyone else. In fact, sometimes, I worry that we are the same person. She puts a stop to my crazy ideas, at least the ones I share with her, and contributes a little push when I need a boost of confidence or motivation. There’s comfort in confiding in someone who truly understands you. Your mom has been with you your entire life, so it's probably safe to say there are few people who know you better than she does.

3. She'll smack you (not literally) back into reality

I don’t know about your mom, but my mom has no problem telling me when I’m out of my mind. As I said before, she knows me better than anyone. She also has a way of knowing when I am about to make a decision I will regret or embark on something that is out of character for me. Sometimes you just need a voice of reason. My mom is one person I can always count on being honest with me.

4. Her love for you is greater than anyone else's

Love from a mom is unlike any other. My mom is a mentor, advisor, parent, best friend, caregiver, role model, listener, partner in crime, shoulder to cry on, and pure source of entertainment. As I have grown older, my relationship with my mom has also changed and transformed. Knowing that someone loves you so much, fully, in your entirety, and unconditionally, is pretty cool. My mom is my anything and everything, she’s my super (wo)man.

5. She shares in your excitement and your heartache

One of the coolest things about a mom is she feels what you feel. When you are excited, she is excited. When you are sad, she is sad. She understands whatever you are going through. She will be your biggest cheerleader. She is also a large source of empathy. She doesn’t want you to experience pain because she feels that pain right along side you. She will ride your roller coaster of life with you, and if I do say so myself, that’s pretty dang special.

6. She genuinely wants to know what's going on in your life

Whether you want to talk to your mom or not, she wants to talk to you. If you don’t want to do it for yourself, do it for your mama. She deserves it. She birthed you and put up with you. She has done so much for you. Call her and clue her in on what your doing.

7. She can dress you better than you can dress yourself

My mom always has a way of helping me decide what to wear. Maybe this is just my mom, but usually she has a better idea of what is in my closet than I do. This is probably because we can share clothes. She knows what looks good on me and what I am going to like before I even try it on. Sometimes you just have to call, or FaceTime, your mom and ask her what you should wear or which shirt you should buy. My mom has a good way of knowing if I am actually going to wear the clothes I am planning on buying.

8. She won't judge you

Your mom is one of the few people on the planet who won’t judge you no matter what you say. It doesn’t matter if I’m ranting about something stupid or frantically calling to ask where a certain item in the grocery is, which, sadly, happens a lot. Sometimes you just can’t find what you’re looking for. Calling your mom is a lot less embarrassing than asking a store employee where the almond milk is.

Let’s be honest. College is hard. Sometimes you just have to keep calm and call your mom.