8 Reasons to Appreciate Your Grandparents

Why you should be thankful for them this Grandparents' Day and every other day too!

1831
Jenna Register

In honor of Grandparents' Day this Sunday (and how truly awesome grandparents are every other day of the year), here’s eight reasons why you should take some time out of your day to remind your old folks how much you appreciate them and all they do for you!

1.When mom and dad say no, grandma and grandpa always say yes.

Mom and dad said you can’t have another cookie? You can always count on grandma to slip you an extra Oreo… or four. And when grandpa sees that you’re dying to have your seventeenth pair of Nike shorts, you know he’ll always come through. Whether it’s yet another Comfort Colors tee or extending your “bed time” for an extra hour, you can always know if your parents deny it, your grandparents will approve.

2.They make even trips to McDonald’s seem like a five-star vacation.

• As kids, we can all remember taking trips to Walmart, McDonald’s, the Goodwill, or some other run-of-the-mill location on a regular basis. But, it seems like the memories of these trips are far more interesting when they involve our grandparents. Something about the excitement building up for an outing with Granny or a car ride with Pops made every errands turn into a fun-filled Saturday. And yes, of course they let you control the radio the whole time.
3.They’ll let you eat ice cream for three meals a day and then take care of you when you’re sick later.

• We all know that a trip to Grandma’s means endless sweets at any time of the day and as many times as you want. So, despite the fact that a massive stomachache is bound to follow, your grandparents will always let you eat or drink whatever you want, even if that does mean having popsicles for breakfast, cookies for lunch, and ice cream for dinner. And when the sickness comes, you know grandma will be right there with ginger ale and Tylenol. And probably a teddy bear and blanket.
4. No shopping trip is complete unless you leave with at least one new toy.

• Who needs to win shopping sprees when you have grandparents? No trip is complete without returning home with at least one new “prize,” whether it be a stuffed animal, dollar store Barbie doll, or, as we’ve gotten older, a new phone case or over-expensive t-shirt.
5.When you come home to visit, they will always take you to grocery store. And there are no limits.

• When mom and dad say you’ve reached your grocery quota or when your bank account is creeping dangerously towards zero, you know Gram and Papa will never let their precious angel starve to death, even if they do have a prepaid food plan and a refridgerator full of groceries. Trips home mean trips to the grocery store. Trips to the grocery store mean yes, you can have 6 boxes of mac and cheese. And cookies.
6. No one cooks like grandma cooks. Period.

• I think this point is pretty self-explanatory, but I’ll go ahead and remind you just how awesome Grandma’s homemade cooking is. No matter how many times others may try to imitate, replicate, or duplicate a home-cooked meal, there really is nothing like actually coming home to Granny’s cooking.
7. They probably taught you more than you realize.

• Because they’ve seen and experienced more than the rest of us, grandparents are one of the best sources for advice. Whether it’s perfecting your apple pie recipe, learning how to change the oil in your truck, or finding out how to stay in love with someone for 50 years, our grandparents are the people we turn to in order to figure out some of life’s toughest scenarios. And it’s probably better that way, because our parent’s haven’t figured everything out yet either
8. A grandparent’s love is like no other.

• In all seriousness, aside from the gifts, groceries, and other ways we’re all spoiled by our grandparents, the most important reason to appreciate them is because of the unconditional love and support we receive from them, despite how ungrateful we all are at times. While our parents’ love is unchanging, there is just something special about the way and grandma and grandpa love their grandchildren. And let’s be real, no one can ever hug you, kiss you, scold you, pray for you, and love you like your grandparents do.
From Your Site Articles