8 Reasons To Be Thankful This Holiday Season

Stop looking at what you don't have, and be thankful for what you do have.
32

As we gather with our friends and family over the holidays, there is plenty to be stressed and worried about. However, there are also many things that we should be thankful for that we can sometimes overlook. From things like toilet paper and dishwashers to a healthy life and good friends to share it with, there is always something to be thankful for.

1. Some people aren't as fortunate as you.

Did you get together with your family over Thanksgiving? Do you eat, visit, and laugh with those people in your family that you only see during this time of the year? Some people aren't as lucky. Some people are working on Thanksgiving day so that we can have a stress free holiday. My grandmother's power went off on Thanksgiving and I said a prayer for the linemen who had to leave their families so that we could spend time with ours. We should be thankful that we have the opportunity to get together with friends and family for the holidays.

2. We can keep traditions alive.

My family always spends the Friday after Thanksgiving putting up Christmas decorations. Some families go Black Friday Shopping together and some watch Christmas movies together. No matter what your family does, that tradition is probably important to you. On Christmas Eve, my grandmother sends everyone in my family home with a warm batch of cinnamon rolls. That tradition is one of my favorites not only because I love her cinnamon rolls, but they were made by my grandmother's sweet hands. Be grateful for the traditions that your family has, and if you don't have one, think of new ones and start them with your family!

3. The food just gets better and better.

Doesn't everyone have a favorite dish or dessert during this time of the year? Some people love the caramel popcorn, their momma's homemade apple pie (and anyone else's can't even compare), or grandma's turnip greens that are flavored just right. But this is the food that is only cooked during the holidays, and that is what makes it so good. Thank God you didn't have to go without that turkey and dressing this year.

4. Christmas movies.

Nothing compares to a good Christmas movie while sipping on hot chocolate cozied up in a warm blanket. Whether it be "Elf" or "It's a Wonderful Life," a good Christmas movie is guaranteed to get you in the holiday spirit. It is a great way to spend time with family, and you can be lazy while doing it! Having something to do during cold rainy days is always something to be thankful for.

5. Christmas music.

Christmas music starts playing on the radio right after Halloween, and it's no surprise because Christmas music is so easy to love! People either love or loathe Christmas music, and you're going to hear it so why not enjoy it? You will not be able to find a department store that doesn't have some sort of holiday music playing. Appreciate the Christmas music while it's here because in January it will be gone.

6. Friendly faces that spread Christmas cheer.

It is so refreshing to go to a small business and see how polite the store clerks are, especially during the holidays. It is so fun to window shop downtown and go in and have store clerks eager to help you find the perfect gift for your family and friends. Even stores like Wal-Mart are full of friends reuniting after not seeing each other in a while, kids hugging their parents, and children helping their grandparents get all the ingredients necessary for the perfect family meal.

7. Netflix & Hulu.

If you aren't into Christmas movies, the possibilities of Netflix and Hulu are endless. Now you can watch the new episodes of "The Gilmore Girls" or even the Radio City Rockette Christmas Spectacular. Any kind of show you want to watch, you can binge watch it while you are home for the holidays. What did we do before Netflix? #blessed

8. Family Time.

Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays are arguably the best time of the year, but nothing would be the same if you didn't have your family to share it with. Without the controlling aunt that keeps everyone on track, the cool mom whose kids always run everywhere, and the great uncle who thinks he's still a kid, how unique would the holiday season be? The traditions, Netflix, Christmas movies, and food just wouldn't be the same without someone to share all of it with. We take for granted all of the moms and dads who spend the holidays working so that they can make it memorable for their children. Always be thankful for family, because you never know who might not be at your table next year.