8 Reasons You Should Immediately Binge Watch 'The X-Files'

I Want to Believe that you'll become obsessed with this show.

63
Fox

If you love all things creepy, mysterious, and just plain gross then The X-Files should be next on your binge list. It follows the weekly excursions of Mulder and Scully, two FBI agents that investigate cases deemed too weird for other agents to work on. What's too weird, you ask? Try a 100-year-old mutant that eats livers and cocoons himself in newspapers and saliva for 30 years at a time.

Yeah, it's weird. And awesome.

25 years later, The X-Files is still airing (!) as part of the "revival fever" that networks have caught in recent years. It's never too late to jump on board and become a fan of the best FBI agents in the history of television. Here are eight reasons to become an "X-Phile."

1. That '90s Nostalgia

Look at her shoulder pads! And their hair! And his tie! Those computers behind them are absolutely ancient. Ah, the '90s. You were full of atrocious fashion choices and ginormous electronics but we love you anyway.

2. Will They or Won't They?

Every show nowadays has a "will they or won't they" subplot: two characters who are obviously into each other but are holding back from admitting their feelings or pursuing a relationship with each other. The X-Files is not exempt from this trope. But, the beauty of watching Mulder and Scully slowly (oh so very slowly) transition from wary colleagues to trusting FBI partners to best friends then finally to the couple that originated the term "shipping" (it literally didn't exist before them) is worth it. I've never seen another TV show portray the trust-building and connection that real relationships rely on nearly as well as The X-Files does. The fact that we get to watch the span of their relationship over 25 years is just icing on the cake. Come watch Mulder and Scully fall in love.

3. Stars Before They Were Stars

Although The X-Files mostly cast lesser-known actors, there are many instances of now-famous actors and actresses getting a shot on the show before the height of their success. Bryan Cranston, Jane Lynch, Shia LaBeouf, and Jack Black are just a few actors that landed small roles on the show only to become household names later in life. Even Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters made a brief appearance in a 1996 episode of The X-Files, "Pusher." The lesson to be learned here is "if you want to get your big break, guest star on The X-Files then wait a few years."

4. Mulder is Super Emotional

It's 2018 but unfortunately, there are still very few TV shows that depict men crying. Why does it matter, you ask?

Toxic masculinity still inexplicably runs rampant in American society. Many men are used to holding intense emotion in because crying is disparaged as a sign of weakness. Phrases like "Take it like a man!" contribute to an air of nontolerance for male openness. So every time I watch a scene where Mulder lets the tears flow, I consider it a victory for society.

5. Scully is Super Strong

Scully is the epitome of a no-nonsense, get-it-done woman. She's an FBI agent and a medical doctor. She's not afraid to call Mulder out when he's being ridiculous and unreasonable. She stands her ground in two male-dominated professions and excels at them. She can run down a fugitive while wearing heels (I can't even stand up in heels). Scully does it all. I'd take her on my side in any fight.

6. Tone Whiplash

The X-Files is one of the few shows that can air an emotionally intense episode about Mulder's missing sister then the very next week air a parody of the show COPS. This show has so many different tones that it's virtually impossible to get tired of it. Into horror today? Watch a monster-of-the-week episode. Wanna laugh? Binge an episode like "Jose Chung's From Outer Space," where fake government aliens are abducted by real aliens. The X-Files has an episode for whatever you're feeling.

7. Explore Deep Questions

The X-Files is built around conspiracy. It's full of secret parking garage meetings and checking apartments for recording devices. Is our government hiding secrets from us? Yes. Are the secrets related to aliens? Maybe. Will Mulder and Scully fight tooth and nail until they uncover the truth? Definitely.

8. Mulder + Scully, Forever

25 years later, Mulder and Scully are still a dynamic duo. They completely revolutionized the repertoire between men and women on TV and the chemistry between the actors that portray them, Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, is perfect. At the end of the day, you can forget all of the aliens and monsters and mutants and shady government officials. The heart of the show is Mulder and Scully.

Next time you're looking for a reason to procrastinate, The X-Files has you covered. Eleven seasons and two movies should keep you pretty busy.