8 Reasons Why Going To A Big School Is The Best

You really are more than just a number.

7
College Magazine

When we are young in high school we are given a huge decision to make. To choose a large, medium, or small sized school. Little do we know, but that decision hugely affects how your college experience will be for the next four years. Sometimes I wander how different my life would be if I choose to go to a tiny little school, but I wouldn't trade being at a school with over 40,000 people for the world. Here's why:

1. New Faces everyday

This is not for everyone. Some people find comfort in seeing the few same hundred faces each day, however that is not the case here. It is amazing to think of all the new people and connections you can make everyday at a big school.

2. The incredible diversity

My roommate is from the complete opposite side of the country than me. The amount of people you will meet from all over the world that come here to study is overwhelming. Learning about other people's ways of life and how they grew up compared to you is an imperative skill for growth.

3. More fun experiences

Free concerts, games, and lectures are the norm here on a weekly basis! Paying attention to flyers and emails will never leave you without anything to do.

4. Endless opportunities

I find myself meeting new people in every single one of my classes whether it has 30 or 500 people. Once we get talking I learn about the amazing clubs and programs they are a part of. Big schools offer so much, that it is almost impossible to find out about all of the amazing opportunities large schools can offer because of the resources they have. This is only motivation to become more involved.

5. All of the sports

Who doesn't want to attend division one football, hockey and basketball games. The hype is unreal and until you experience it you will never understand.

6. The most diverse classes

Classes, especially general education are so big. It teaches you how to pay attention and study for the real world. Teachers don't "spoon feed" anyone which I feel prepares us better for the real word one day. Also, you can change your mind and major a million times and never have to transfer because big schools offer almost everything.You aren't locked into a program like at a small school.

7. The biggest selection of clubs

People who say its impossible to carry on the sport they loved to do in high school at a D1 school have no clue. There is a club sport here for virtually any team, and if you ' like that there are always pickup games, meets, and events offered at the rec center.

8. The investment in your future

You will always have a fun place to come back to as an alumni. People know big schools and know how reputable the education is, leading future employers to take students from large schools seriously.