8 Reasons Creatives Have Trouble With Traditional Work Settings

Why do creative personalities struggle with traditional employment?
162

Over the past decade, there's been discourse as to whether the traditional work environment needs revamping. While many employees flourish with this routine, it's clear that the nine to five desk setting is not suitable for everyone.

In particular, creative types seem to suffer most under such a conventional work regime. This makes sense since they're wired for out-of-the-box thinking and unconventional approaches to problems.

But beyond that, there are numerous reasons creative personalities have trouble functioning in an office for 40 hours per week.

1. They desire control over their schedules.

Time is the most valuable commodity to creative personalities, particularly when it comes to managing their personal projects. Many of them would choose more time doing what they love over more money without hesitation. This is why it can be bothersome to trade time in for money, particularly if that time isn't spent doing anything they consider worthwhile.

There's also the issue of body clocks. Not everyone's body is wired for the 40 hour work week, nor does everyone function best between the hours of nine and five.

For creatives who do their best work during the unholy hours of the night, it can be a blow to land a job that requires them to wake up early. And even those who do their best work in the morning might resent the fact that they're not putting their freshest energy toward their art.

2. They assess their work by quality, not quantity.

Anyone who has tried to create some form of art can attest to the fact that quality is important. It doesn't matter how much you produce, just that whatever you're making is impressive.

Unfortunately, many workplaces are more concerned with quantity. They want to make sure you're flying through as many tasks as possible. And while they do expect a certain standard of work, they'd rather you complete 40 mediocre memos than 10 outstanding ones.

This can be baffling to artsy people, especially if they hold their work to high standards outside of the office. Such habits are hard to break.

3. They don't give a damn about your office politics.

Creative thinkers often concern themselves with large-scale problems, but very few of them want to waste time on trivial matters. They're too busy thinking about their next project or how they can make changes to causes important to them. What they aren't thinking about is impressing so-and-so to secure that promotion.

And they certainly don't care which co-workers had it out with one another yesterday. Oh, and the guy in the department next door got fired?

None of these topics are remotely interesting to creatives.

4. Introversion is a common trait among creatives.

It has been suggested that creative personalities tend toward introverted qualities more than extroverted ones. This makes sense since time alone is crucial to any artistic endeavor. But introverts also need to recharge after spending too much time with other people, something a conventional work setting forces upon them.

No matter what field it is, a career requires a certain amount of small talk and feigned interest in others' lives. For introverted creative types, this daily obligation can drain them of their energy.

5. If the work isn't meaningful, it won't matter to them.

Why do artists do what they do? Because it's fulfilling to them, and most of the time, they're looking to make some kind of statement with their art. Meaning is key here.

It's not surprising, then, that people seeking meaning outside of the workplace would also want meaning inside of it. So, unless the tasks delegated to creatives directly relate to something they're passionate about, they probably won't genuinely care about them.

That isn't to say that they won't do them to the best of their ability. But they won't be skipping lunch and staying late to do something they don't find exciting.

6. They question everything, including office policies.

Imaginative employees think outside the box, resisting convention for the sake of convention. If a creative worker finds that the traditional way of doing things doesn't work for them, they'll be the first to suggest switching things up.

This can be a nightmare for supervisors who prefer to uphold tradition, clinging to the reasoning of "this is how we've always done things." Inventive workers don't care how you've done things in the past. They're more concerned with the most efficient method of doing things in the present.

7. There's more on their mind than the work in front of them.

Let's face it. More often than not, artists are absorbed in their own little worlds. Their imaginations wander, and this is how they come up with their best ideas.

But if a wandering imagination and a focus on outside projects are at the forefront of a creative's mind, it's less likely they're thinking about their workload.

8. They have a lot to say.

Creativity stems from thoughts, and people with a plethora of ideas zooming in and out of their minds tend to have a lot to say. And while some workplaces do value their employees' opinions, many of them are happy to lose their employees' voices amidst the bureaucracy.

Predictably, this can cause a disconnect between employer and employee. Creatives want to feel their ideas are valued and heard, not waved away and overruled with red tape.