8 Reasons Why You Should Adopt A Rescue Dog

They just want to give you all their love and kisses!

85
anthonyhelton.com

We all know dogs are the best, right? Right. They give the best wet kisses and always welcome you with excitement and love after a long day of being at work or school. But there are something or eight somethings, oh so special about rescue dogs. They are truly something special and unlike any other kind of dog. So next time you are in the search for a new four-legged family member, be sure to keep these eight reasons in mind as to why you should adopt a rescue dog!

1. You will be saving a life, and that counts for something.

Each year, over 2.7 million animals are euthanized in shelters. Let me say that again for the people in the back, 2.7 million animals. Even if you are just saving one life, you are making a difference.

2. You get to be a part of an incredible transformation.

For a lot of dogs that haven’t been in homes for months, even years, they can be in rough shape. Once you take them in, you get to watch to them become healthy and full of energy. It is truly a beautiful site to see, and you know that you got to be a part of that.

3. They give the best cuddles.

If you are like me, 95 percent of the reason for getting a pup is for the wet kisses when you walk through the door after a long day and the cuddles on the couch at night while watching "Grey's Anatomy". Rescue dogs want so much to be loved and to give all the love they have. They make the best cuddlers!

4. It’s not their fault.

A lot of people have this misconception that rescue dogs are homeless because they have behavioral problems. I can tell you from my work in rescues, this is so not true! Most rescue dogs are relinquished for reasons that have nothing to do with behavioral problems, and they are generally the most loving and gentle of dogs.

5. No puppy troubles!

Don’t get me wrong, I love puppy breath and small paw prints just as much as everyone else, I’m human too! But puppies are a lot of work, and can’t be a reality for everyone. A lot of the time rescue dogs are just out of the puppy stage, which also means you as an owner don’t have to deal with the puppy troubles! This means no house training, constant chewers, or 2 a.m. face lickers. So seriously think about getting a slightly older dog that has been in a rescue if you can’t handle the responsibility of a puppy – it really is like having a small child!

6. Money isn’t everything.

Having a pet is already expensive enough (though our fur babies are totally worth it) but vet bills, dog food, chew toys, etc. all begin to add up. Why start off by spending $500 on a dog, when there is one in your local shelter down the road that may be euthanized tomorrow? See what I’m getting at? No one cares how much you spend on your dog, but people do care if you are making a difference in the community, and you can do that by adopting!

7. Your current fur babies need friends!

Just like you, your fur babies need friends to hang out with and play with! A great plus to rescue dogs is that they often already have quite a bit of socialization before they are adopted and know how to play nicely with friends.

8. There are many rescues in your backyard, Shreveport/Bossier!

You don’t have to go far, friends. There are plenty of rescues in our own backyard with fur babies that need rescuing. Some rescues include Pet Savers Shreveport, Human Society of Northwest Louisiana, Shreveport-Bossier Animal Rescue, Bossier City Animal Control, Animal Welfare, Inc., Caddo Parish Animal Shelter, and Louisiana Dog Rescue. These are just a few to mention and I am sure there are some that I missed, so be sure to look around the corner when it comes time to find your next pup. All of these babies deserve loving homes!

Even if you can’t adopt at the moment, all shelters and rescues are constantly looking for volunteers and donations both monetarily and with certain products, so if you have time be sure to give them a call and see how you can help!

All dogs are amazing, but rescue dogs will forever have a special place in my heart!
From Your Site Articles