8 of the Most Haunted Places in Indiana

8 of the Most Haunted Places in Indiana

A List of Historical Indiana Locations known for paranormal activity
3791

With Halloween only a couple of weeks away, it's the season of hayrides, scary movies, and of course haunted houses. With more than 2,500 haunted attractions nationwide, more and more people are lining up to have strangers jump out and scare them. According to CNBC, the industry is pulling in close to $300 million a year. However, instead of forking over cash to be chased by a creepy guy with a chainsaw this Halloween, there is another option. You could visit one of the real life (supposedly) haunted locations in Indiana. Whether you believe in ghosts or not, the historical background behind these places is unarguably intriguing as well as pretty creepy.

1. Tunnelton Tunnel (Bedford, Indiana)

(bridgehunter.com)

Often overlooked, the Tunnelton Tunnel was first established in 1857 for the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad. There are several creepy tales associated with this tunnel, one of which is about a construction worker who was accidentally decapitated during the tunnels construction. Many visitors have claimed to see the ghost of this individual wandering the tunnel with a lantern in search of his head. As if that were not enough, another story says that a cemetery built atop the tunnel was disturbed during its construction. Evidentially, several of the bodies of those buried there fell through and now haunt anyone who visits the tunnel.

2. French Lick Springs Hotel (French Lick, Indiana)

(historichotels.org)

This beautiful hotel is known all across the nation for its history and unique architecture. Since it was built in 1845, it has been visited by numerous famous guests, including several past presidents. The hotel is said to be haunted by its former owner Thomas Taggart, whom many of the guests have claimed to see riding through the halls on a horse and operating the hotel elevators. In one room in particular, a mysterious red stain often appears on the guest bathtub, the place of which a bride once committed suicide.

3. Roads Hotel (Atlanta, Indiana)

(huntforghosts.com)

This historic building built in 1893, was once visited by John Dillinger. It is said to be haunted by a slew of different spirits. Guests have reported lights turning off and on, doors slamming shut on their own, and mysterious voices even when the hotel is unoccupied. Others say they have heard unexplained footsteps and seen glimpses of men, woman, and children.

4. Cloverdale Cemetery (Cloverdale, Indiana)

(putnamindianacemeteries.com)

Legend has it that seven beautiful witch sisters were buried in this cemetery many years ago. It is said that their graves are located in a circle with a tree in the center. If you walk around their graves 7 times without disturbing them you will be granted a wish, however if you mess with them in any way, horrible misfortune it said to come to you.

5. Okie Pinokie Woods (Peru, Indiana)

(mripa.net)

According to urban legend, Okie Pinokie woods is home to an ancient burial ground and filled with sprits that supposedly respond if you whistle at them while deep in the forest. In the 70’s, a man named Joey Peoria who grew up playing in these woods went camping there with three friends. None of them ever came back out. A search party later recovered the bodies of Joey’s three friends but found no sign of him. Some think Joey found out about an affair that one of his friends was having with his wife and an argument broke out. No one has ever seen Joey since, but several more bodies have been found in these woods through the years. Today, many stay away from the woods fearing the same fate.

6. James Allison Mansion (Indianapolis, Indiana)

(hoosierghost.proboards.com)

Built around 1913, this historical hotel is said to be haunted by a little girl who once visited and drowned in the basement pool. Guests claim to see a mysterious little girl in and around the hotel and have witnessed furniture moving around by themselves as well as heard voices in the attic.

7. Whispers Estate (Mitchell, Indiana)

(roadtrippers.com)

One of the most famously paranormal locations on the list, Whispers Estate has been featured in many books and TV shows, including HGTV’s “America’s Spookiest Homes”. It was also rated by Travel Channel as the 4th most terrifying place in America. Many have witnessed apparitions, odd smells, shaking furniture and unexplained voices on the property.

8. Vigo County Historical Museum (Terre Haute, Indiana)

(brisray.com)

Formerly known as the Sage Mansion, this museum used to be used as a halfway house. It is a hot-spot for strange apparitions and creepy encounters. It is said that the front staircase is particularly eerie and many guests have claimed to see a strange mist hovering over it.