Whether you are the middle of three, five or seven, the middle child has a special relationship with their parents, siblings and the world. As a middle child myself, I experienced some very annoying and wonderful things growing up. My older brother paved the way and we like to joke that my younger sister roams free. Here are a few memorable things that every middle child will deal with:
1. You will never be the first to do anything.
Whether it's a driver's license, dance or college, you are never walking into uncharted territory. This can be annoying, because few things are ever yours to accomplish first, but it can be a comfort, as you know that everything will always turn out alright.
2. You will constantly complain about how easy your younger sibling has it.
With the experience of at least two children, your parents have seriously eased up on your younger sibling.You may have had your first sleepover at 12, but your younger sib probably had one at 10. Or 6.
3. You will also probably be "so-and-so's sibling" for your entire life.
My suggestion would be go to a different college than they did. No one will know them there.
4. You are either a Type A personality ...
There is now middle ground. There is chaos on either side of you, so you must be the stabilizing factor.
5. ... or a complete rebel.
Although many studies have now denounced any birth order theory, most people believe this to be true. After watching your older sibling accomplish and succeed, many feel the need to move away from success entirely to make their own mark.
6. It is impossible to find anything in your house.
One of your siblings probably has it. So just give it up.
7. Sometime you feel unheard among all of the other opinions.
8. All other things aside, you have constant and complete support from all sides.
You are the meat in the sandwich of familial love.