8 Life Lessons From My Mentors

8 Life Lessons From My Mentors

Sometimes when you observe people, you learn some cool stuff

10
8 Life Lessons From My Mentors

Sometimes, we make it through school and we have a moment where we sit and think "oh my word, I know nothing." Your college education is meant to be the pinnacle of knowledge — the end all be all of information. But sometimes you walk about with more questions than answers.

That's where mentors come in.

I think we expect a mentor to walk into our life and say "Hello, newb! I am now your official mentor. Time for our first lesson."

Bad news. It doesn't work that way.

I've learned that the best way to find your mentor is to observe those around you and what they do. And, surprise surprise! Your mentor doesn't have to be just one person! I've found many mentors in my short time observing what goes on around me; if I were to count, I think I would have five solid mentors that have taught me some invaluable lessons.

Here's a list of things I've heard my mentors say throughout my lifetime.

1. "Your boss is squirrely"

Sometimes, when we first start a new job, we're eager to please and we want to do anything and everything we can to please the new bosses. It sometimes takes someone pointing out to you that your boss doesn't exactly know what they want all the time for you to realize it's not always you.

2. "Sometimes you have to wait on people. If you can't, go to their office."

While this may not be the world's best advice, it does have a lot of truth to it. If you're waiting for someone to send you an email, walk over to their office and say "I need your information to finish this project but I know you're busy. Is there anything I can help you with so we can get this project done?" I guess the moral is to be helpful and do what you can to work as a team.

3. "If someone wants to leave, let them go and be happy for them"

Not everyone wants to work at the same company for 40 years and retire. So, when they want to go, let them and tell them good luck. Don't burn bridges.

4. "Don't burn bridges"

Turn in your two weeks, send nice emails, go back to your old internships bearing gifts. Make people happy to hear your name. You never know when you'll need a good letter of recommendation or, even, a job. This held true for me. I had to go back to a job and I was thankful I had given my two weeks and was eligible for re-employment.

5. "It's a small world and you never know who you're going to meet"

Basically, be nice. You don't want people saying you're hard to work with.

6. "You've gotta know yourself before you can know your industry, your business, your projects and your friends"

Know your limits, your strengths and your weaknesses to be a better employee. To grow, you've got to be self-aware.

7. "Life is hard so get over it. Enjoy what you have"

Sometimes we can get so caught up in chasing our passions and finding what we love that we forget to enjoy what we have and love what's in front of us.

8. "Don't just lay around. If you can work — work."

That doesn't mean you should only work a 9-5 job. It can mean work on yourself, work on a side-business, work on your family. There is never not something you can do.