Eight Helpful Tips During Move-In Day

Eight Helpful Tips During Move-In Day

15
Eight Helpful Tips During Move-In Day
George Mason University

Summer is dwindling down to its last few days and move in day is right around the corner for George Mason University freshmen. As a majority of college freshmen all over the United States have already settled into their new living space, GMU’s class of 2019 are still packing tubs, going last minute shopping, and loading their cars in anticipation for August 27. As the morning of move in day arrives, it is important to know what to pack and what to keep in mind when arriving on campus. Here are a few tips in an attempt to make move-in day easier for you and your family.

1. Listen to the professionals.

This year, I’m excited to be apart of the Move-In Crew. I get the opportunity to move the freshmen in near the Rappahannock neighborhood (so if you see me, say hi). We have been through this process before and know that you are eager to get away and live on your own, but we are here to help get you situated as soon as we can. Make sure to follow the bright flags signaling where to park, and pay attention when you are told where to check-in and get your key.

2. Don't cram.

When it comes to packing, try not to over pack, especially clothing. By the end of the year, there were still shirts in my closet that I never wore and they took up precious closet space. The dorm rooms are small and moving in unnecessary items is just a waste of space and time. Every item that you pack, take a second and ask yourself, “Do I really need that?"

3. Make the most of your space.

Storage is key. Those tubs you brought your clothes in? Stick them under your bed and place winter clothing or workout clothes in them. This saves space and it is easy to tuck those not as commonly used clothes away. Storage caddies with drawers are also convenient for storing away snacks and other items such as laundry necessities or extra toiletries.

4. Be aware of your surroundings.

Check the weather on move-in day and dress accordingly. At my freshman orientation, that they said it would either be “the hottest day of the year or rain.” Since it was so hot, I thought it couldn’t get any worse, right? Wrong. I remember when the downpour started and I ended up dashing to the nearest building for cover. I was definitely not prepared in flip-flops and no umbrella.

5. Don't stress out.

Forgot your pillow or toothbrush? Trust me, it happens. My older brother forgot his pillow on move in day. But don’t worry, Target and Walmart are right around the corner with all of the college essentials. You can also coordinate with your roommate and/or suite mates and decide how to equally split what you all are buying for the room or bathroom, if you don’t have the dreaded hall bath.

6. Don't be afraid to cry.

Remember, it is an emotional time whether you are the first, middle, youngest, or only child going away to college. It is always okay to show emotion. Being the youngest of three to go away to college, my mom admitted to me she shed a few tears in the car while listening to “Wide Open Spaces” by the Dixie Chicks. And I promise you, if you ever feel homesick, which is almost guaranteed to happen at some point, home is always only a phone call away.

7. Guard your valuables.

Keep your Mason ID with you at all times. Not only does it get you into your building, but there are events on campus such as a hypnotist that happen during your time on campus.

8. Take time to appreciate.

And do not forget to say thank you to whomever brought you. Move-in day is just as stressful on them as it is on you, but sadly they do not get to enjoy the new found freedom like you do.

College is supposed to be some of the best years of our lives. The difference between high school and college is a massive step and takes adjusting for some. You don’t have your parents reminding you to do your homework that you forgot to do, you were able to create your class schedule, and you get to make the choices to go to class or not. Just remember to have fun and check in with yourself every once in a while to make sure you are on top of things. Get ready to start a new chapter in your life and to enjoy every minute of it.