8 Father's Day Gifts That Seem Like A Good Idea, But Actually Aren't

Dads really don't need these gifts.

13

Dads are notoriously hard to shop for, especially if they are anything like my dad. Since Father's Dad is right around the corner, we are about to see all different types of sites list suggestions of what we should get our fathers. Here is a list of eight items that typically make these lists, but you are actually better off avoiding unless they are specifically requested by your dad himself.

1. Tools

Tools are kinda the unofficial symbol of dads, so it makes sense that they tend to make most of these lists. What doesn’t make sense is getting your dad some random tools you got at a Sears closing sale just because a list told you that dads like building and fixing things. Most people already have at least the basic tools in their garage and don’t need another hammer or screw driver lying around.

2. Mugs

One recurring suggestion on Father's Day gift lists are mugs. In my house we have enough mugs to last every member of the household their entire lifetime. Though they are practical, your dad most likely has way more mugs than he needs and it is probably best to figure out something else.

3. Electronics

If your dad is proficient with electronics, then this may be a gift that turns out well. If not, is he going to call you up five times a day to ask you how to work it? This could be a frustrating gift for you both.

4. Desk Decorations

Paper weights and bookends always make these lists, but how many of these does anyone really need?

5. Jewelry

If he has only ever worn his wedding ring, I don’t see how your gift is going to change him now.

6. Cooking utensils

Like tools, your father is probably all stocked up on cookware and utensils and even has some repeats cluttering his drawers. So unless it’s something really awesome and usable you are better off getting him a different gift.

7. Ties

Unless your dad has a job that requires one, ask yourself this: when was the last time you saw your dad in a tie?

8. Cufflinks

Honestly, I’m not really sure what these are for?

Hopefully, this list reached you before you got his gift, if not I'm sure your dad will pretend to like anything you give him. If all else fails you could check out his Amazon wish list or, yah know, just ask him.